D&D 5E DM Guild Recommendations

Reynard

Legend
It seems like it has been a while since anyone has asked, so I'm starting this new thread. If there is an existing thread, feel free to steer me that way.

Recommend me a thing or two from DMs Guild that you have found truly high quality and useful for your 5E game. It has been around long enough I expect there is some good material coming out from some reliable creators, but it feels like trying to find a good indie e-book.

Thanks.

CydKnight

Explorer
I can only comment on two from experience as a DM. Having finished Lost Mine of Phandelver my group wanted to keep going and playing off of that theme with the current characters.

Glasstaff did escape in the main adventure so we ran Glasstaff's Revenge almost immediately afterwards. It was simple and to the point and incorporated something directly from the adventure. I thought it looked fine on paper for one game session. The party was all Level 4 and would level up after completing this. We ended up with one player death but I fault the players' ill-advised decisions and not the campaign itself.

After Glasstaff's Revenge I went ahead and snatched up Southcrypt Falls and Southcrypt Pass. We are actually right in the middle of Southcrypt Pass which should be run first. The story falls right in line with the end of LMOP and is appropriate for the character's current levels (Level 4-5). I can give further update on these two after they have been completed by the party.

I have also looked at The Torment of Sister Garaele to run along the same storyline but I have not decided if I will run that one or not. I may make an attempt at some homebrew next instead.

Last edited:

On my DMsGuild channel, the item I recommend most for being useful for almost every table is the Magic Spell Cheat Sheets, a suite of tools for facilitating learning and referencing magic spells. It includes magic spell lists, effects charts, and 1-sentence summaries of all spells in the Player's Handbook, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and Elemental Evil companion, organized by class, school of magic, and themes.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/175969/DD-5e-Magic-Spell-Cheat-Sheets

Other items on my DMsGuild channel:

Channel link: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny Tek

Multiclass Feats (5e) - This is a book of feats that add new abilities based on what classes a character is multiclassed in. For example, there's a feat that grants a rogue/knowledge cleric the ability to obtain information about a creature upon successfully applying Sneak Attack (reading their blood so to speak).

The Artificer (5e class)

The Dancer (5e class)

The Swordmage (5e Class)

Monstrous PC Races: Fairy (5e race/class hybrid)

Monstrous PC Races: Gelatinous Cube (5e race)

Forgotten Realms Deity Lore Pamphlets - [Bahamut, Eilistraee, Kelemvor, Sune] - an ongoing series of pamphlets that combine researched canon with new fiction, updating lore for deities to post-Sundering status as well as offering details about the customs of clerics and paladins that serve the deities.

aco175

Legend
I can only comment on two from experience as a DM. Having finished Lost Mine of Phandelver my group wanted to keep going and playing off of that theme with the current characters.

Glasstaff did escape in the main adventure so we ran Glasstaff's Revenge almost immediately afterwards. It was simple and to the point and incorporated something directly from the adventure. I thought it looked fine on paper for one game session. The party was all Level 4 and would level up after completing this. We ended up with one player death but I fault the players' ill-advised decisions and not the campaign itself.

After Glasstaff's Revenge I went ahead and snatched up Southcrypt Falls and Southcrypt Pass. We are actually right in the middle of Southcrypt Pass which should be run first. The story falls right in line with the end of LMOP and is appropriate for the character's current levels (Level 4-5). I can give further update on these two after they have been completed by the party.

I have also looked at The Torment of Sister Garaele to run along the same storyline but I have not decided if I will run that one or not. I may make an attempt at some homebrew next instead.

Thanks for the kind words, these are mine that I posted about Southcrypt. I have a third posted as well on the actual dungeon of Southcrypt. I can follow the other two, but only contains the upper levels and not the deeper vampire giant.

I liked the Waterdeep trilogy by ES Brun, I think it is called the Power Plays arc, but these are a few more follow-on modules. I also like some of the periphery stuff that helps me DM better. Stuff on factions, guilds, and even stuff like heraldry can be good.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I would second the Spell Cheat Sheets. They've been invaluable for me and my table as well.

Of the adventures I've purchased/downloaded and had a chance to (partially) run, I've most liked Cave of the Missing.

Shiroiken

Legend
Adversaries and Allies is really good, providing more NPCs (which was really important pre-Volo's). Pay what you want.

(not so) Legendary Actions is fun as well. It expands the role of Legendary Actions, which is one of the best (and and underutilized) new mechanics for 5E. While I wouldn't use it direct in my games, it opens up a lot of ideas and possibilities. Pay what you want.

pogre

Legend
Resurrecting this thread. It's linked to the wiki - so I hope that makes it less annoying. ;)

Has anyone bought anything recently on DM Guild that is worthy of recommendation?

I'm particularly fond of buying adventures, but I will look at any recommendation - aside from paper terrain and minis.

Remove ads