D&D 5E DM Help! My rogue always spams Hide as a bonus action, and i cant target him!

zaratan

First Post
That will provide a perfect roleplaying explanation for why the rest of the party starts studying stealth from the rogue (i.e. everyone that can will multiclass to Rogue 2). ;-)
Now with Volo's the rest of the party can be goblin archers and forget the rogue 2

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

fjw70

Adventurer
Yeah, well, now that ive been thinking about it, i think one of my errors is that i have kinda allowed the rogue to take 2 bonus actions.

Meaning, often times the rogue will move, attack, and then as a bonus action use Cunning Action to dash and run behind a boulder or go around the corner AND THEN make a hide check as well, since he is no longer in view of the monsters. It kind of makes sense to naturally allow that, but i've never really scrutinized it like i am doing now.

The logical question in this scenario is that if the rogue is going to use his bonus action to dash away behind something, i believe he is allowed to have cover, but not necessarily be hidden, therby no longer needing a Perception check

Yes limiting to one bonus action will help. Also, there is nothing wrong with being behind cover and not hidden.

fjw70

Adventurer
Also remember that if the rogue has to come out of hiding to attack, it won't have advantage anymore, unless you somehow rule that the target is distracted and didn't see him until after it did.

This is one many people seem to get wrong (or houserule it in). In 5e if you start your turn hidden nothing in the rules allow you the stay hidden for the rest of the turn. If you reveal yourself during your turn then you aren't hidden anymore.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Yeah, well, now that ive been thinking about it, i think one of my errors is that i have kinda allowed the rogue to take 2 bonus actions.

Meaning, often times the rogue will move, attack, and then as a bonus action use Cunning Action to dash and run behind a boulder or go around the corner AND THEN make a hide check as well, since he is no longer in view of the monsters. It kind of makes sense to naturally allow that, but i've never really scrutinized it like i am doing now.

The logical question in this scenario is that if the rogue is going to use his bonus action to dash away behind something, i believe he is allowed to have cover, but not necessarily be hidden, therby no longer needing a Perception check

Keep in mind that if he's using cunning action to dash, then he isn't using it to disengage, meaning that he might be provoking opportunity attacks. Obviously that's less of a concern if he uses a whip, is a swashbuckler rogue, or has taken the mobile feat.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
One of the party's goals in combat is to minimize the use of resources to mitigate incoming damage over the course of the adventuring day.

Every party member has a resource that can ONLY be used to mitigate damage, hit dice.

If (for instance) the party rogue is never visible to target, while another target with a lower combination of defensive measures (ie - lower hit dice, less unused hit dice, lower AC, damage vulnerabilities, lack of uncanny dodge) IS visible, then that other target will most likely take up the slack. If that other target ends up running out of hit dice, and party healing is needed, then daily resources have been consumed unnecessarily. If that other target ends up running out of hit points, then party actions are being sacrificed.

In short: rogues are pretty tanky. They have good AC, good hit dice and neat powers like uncanny dodge to further mitigate damage. Using stealth occasionally to ensure that monsters are doling out damage in the correct proportions to the right targets is great - it's a strength of rogues.

Using stealth constantly is sub-optimal unless the entire party is doing it all the time, and doing it all the time is sub-optimal because it essentially leads to rocket tag, where the entire enemy contingent target the lone PC who rolls low on their stealth check.

And finally it's sub-optimal because the most important resource of the game is the players time, and stealth checks and reactive perception checks slow the game to a crawl.

jbOKgamer

Villager
If rogue is hiding behind total cover have monster ready an action to attack rogue or just attack the other members of the party. If rogue is hiding because of heavily obscured (or nature lightly obscured for wood elf, or a creature for lightfoot halfling) attack the rogue with disadvantage.

Horwath

Legend
I dont see any big problem.

If the rogue is ranged and has melee allies he already get sneak attack. And as for "invulnerability" he can go behind cover without hiding anyway. And with bonus action spent on dash instead of hide he will be out of reach most of the time.

All he is doing actualy is using hide to get advantage on his ONLY attack roll every round.

Throw in now and then few stealth characters of your own, let them to a mini sniper duel.

Or have opponents ready and action. If he is afraid to walk out of hiding beacuse of that, well you just locked him down with one mook.

Also dont rely on solo creatures too much. Except ones that are exclusevely solitary. Every trick in the book works against solo opponent. When you have to worry about 5 directions of combat you cannot afford to be one trick pony.

P.S. if he is a wood elf or have skulker feat or new underground scout ranger then you will have to work a little extra as in underdark they can hide in 99,9% of places.

You should not be so alerted by what the rogue's doing. That is the strong point of being a rogue.
Almost all solutions have been pointed out in the preceding posts. Use them.

One was left. Help action. If the ennemies are numerous enough, two are searching (one helps the other) and a third is waiting for the searchers to point the pesky rogue to him. That should complete the possibilities.

Remove ads