D&D 5E DM Help! My rogue always spams Hide as a bonus action, and i cant target him!

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
So what keeps you hidden when you stop being quiet and come out into the open?
Nothing, if you make noise or you're seen you're no longer hidden but you'd have to do it volontarily since you've tried to hide successfully, which means you are now unseen and unheard.

But what is happening in the fiction if a person is looking at an elf through the snow, and then - at the gaming table - the player of the elf declares "I hide" and rolls a DEX check and gets a result higher than the observers passive Perception?
He becomes unseen and unheard of, and his location becomes unknown as it loose track of it in the swirling snow. It just blinked out of it's radar if you prefer.

I think it is possible that the snow swirls around the elf, making him/her vanish from sight. Another possibility is that, at the behest of the elf, the snow briefly flurries into the eyes of the observer, rendering him/her a non-observer. But then I'm puzzled why it is a DEX check.
Because the rules, it require a certain level of agility and nimbleness to escape notice.

Even if it's camouflage - eg the elf's skin changes colour (not something I've ever heard suggested, but at least a logical possibility) - that doesn't explain why it would be a DEX check. (I assume that noone thinks that the elf is applying greasepaint to him-/herself, or rapidly changing clothes, and that that is why it's a DEX check.)
I didn't say chameleon, i said camouflage, the art of blending in the surrounding. It's a Dexterity check because Dexterity is the attribute for moving nimbly and quietly to escape notice among other things.

Camouflage, noun
the exploitation of natural surroundings or artificial aids to conceal or disguise the presence of military units, equipment, etc
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/camouflage

Last edited:

seebs

Adventurer
To be picky, making noise only reveals your location to things which can hear, and even then only if there's a way for the noise to reach them. And it's not absolute.

Consider that you can move from one cover to another and remain hidden. "Hidden" is more complicated than "no one has line of sight to you".

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Aw, c'mon. The context was that he was talking about the mechanics, not the fiction. Furthermore, the context makes it very clear that he is talking about the hider remaining silent while hidden. And he even said that he agreed with you. All he was saying is that, mechanically, the initial stealth roll covers what you are calling the 'ongoing effort'.

I'm not sure what the Dex check has to do with our discussion. As far as I recall, Crawford's article as well as the wood elf hiding ability are both pretty light on mechanics and have more to do with the fictional situation of an elf "attempting to hide", which is an ongoing effort that can continue even under the watchful scrutiny of a potential observer. Crawford brings it up at the end of the article as a requirement for hiding, however, and it's interesting to note in connection with this that he says, "an observant foe might later spot a hidden halfling or elf", rather than saying the seeker might spot the hider right away.

I also disagree that the Dex check covers the entire "attempt to hide", which is an action declaration to stay quiet and out of sight, among other things that keep your location secret. The Dex check is simply an action resolution mechanism that is used not to find out if you followed through on your declaration to stay quiet, etc., but to see how successful those efforts are in keeping your location secret. As Crawford says, it's a requirement of the hide-attempt rather than the attempt itself, which is a fictional action rather than a game mechanic.

Last edited:

Hriston

Nothing, if you make noise or you're seen you're no longer hidden but you'd have to do it volontarily since you've tried to hide successfully, which means you are now unseen and unheard.

Right, I think we're basically in agreement here. To draw a distinction, I would say you are now hidden because your hide-attempt (and hence your Dex check) is still in effect, current, and ongoing until you voluntarily decide to end it by making noise, attacking, or revealing your position in some other way.

Hriston

I can't precisely remember the situation, but it involved a Dark Sun templar NPC using a psionic attack on a PC to render himself invisible to that PC. But there was no movement (maybe the templar had been prone and had spent his move action standing up? this was a 4e game, and so the move rules are a bit more restrictive than 5e).

I just remember that, at the time, the rules generated the sort of flavour we see in LotR (esp the movies), where Frodo turns invisible and everyone wonders where he's gone; whereas, in the fiction as it was unfolding at the table, it felt a bit more like the templar had put on a fake moustache and was then expecting everyone not to recognise him.

It wasn't a big deal, and maybe the real solution was for me to narrate the psionic invisibility with more verve.

I'm still a little unclear on the situation. Was the templar NPC merely invisible, or was s/he making some effort to hide? Also, were there any other PCs present, or just the one that was the target of the psionic attack? I don't know about 4e, but 5e makes it clear (as I'm sure you know) that an invisible creature's location is known until it begins trying to hide, so I would tell the players exactly where the creature is until it begins hiding, after which each individual's knowledge of the creature's location depends on the outcome of the Dex/Wis contest.

It can be awkward handling a situation in which an invisible creature is hidden from some PCs but not others. Everyone already has disadvantage to hit the creature anyway by benefit of its invisibility, and it isn't really guessing if the other players are telling you where to target your attack, so hiding doesn't have much, if any, benefit to the invisible creature unless it wins (ties really) the contest against all potential observers. I still allow it to hide, however, and tell any players that lose the contest that they've completely lost track of its location.

Hriston

To be picky, making noise only reveals your location to things which can hear, and even then only if there's a way for the noise to reach them. And it's not absolute.

To clarify, the way I'm using "make noise", and the way I believe it's used in the books, is to denote voluntarily making a noise loud enough to give away your position. Assuming you can be heard, the likelihood of such action declarations to give away your location is absolute.

Consider that you can move from one cover to another and remain hidden. "Hidden" is more complicated than "no one has line of sight to you".

I agree 100%. "Line of sight" doesn't really come into the hiding rules, except for the fact that an obstruction blocks vision, and is more of a factor in targeting where it's really about having a clear path to the target free of obstructions rather than being able to see it (except in the case of specific spells).

IME, it's more useful for the purpose of hiding to determine whether you can be seen according to the rules for light and vision, which don't rely on cover at all.

seebs

Adventurer
Part of the confusion is probably that "hidden" isn't really a state exactly. It's a description of your state with regards to a particular entity.

Consider the pillar case. You are west of a pillar. There's two entities, one further west of you, one east of you. The one to the east can't see you. You can attempt Hide, and then you'll gain "hidden" with respect to the one to the east, but not with respect to the one to the west. If you then move to another pillar, also between you and the one to the east, you don't necessarily lose your hidden state, meaning that entity may never become aware of you. But the one to the west could see you, and you're still unhidden to it. And so on.

pemerton

Legend
He becomes unseen and unheard of, and his location becomes unknown as it loose track of it in the swirling snow. It just blinked out of it's radar if you prefer.

<snip>

I didn't say chameleon, i said camouflage, the art of blending in the surrounding. It's a Dexterity check because Dexterity is the attribute for moving nimbly and quietly to escape notice among other things.
The Dex check is simply an action resolution mechanism that is used not to find out if you followed through on your declaration to stay quiet, etc., but to see how successful those efforts are in keeping your location secret. As Crawford says, it's a requirement of the hide-attempt rather than the attempt itself, which is a fictional action rather than a game mechanic.
I've juxtaposed these two quotes because they hone in on the issue that I'm most interested in.

Here's the ingame situation I have in mind: it is snowing; a wood elf is standing in the snow, being observed by a human (let's say they're even conversing); and then the player of the wood elf (be that player or GM) declares "I am going to try and hide from the human."

Is that action declaration permissible per se? Does it automatically fail, because the elf is under observation?

My sense of this discussion is that Plaguescarred, [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], [MENTION=6857506]Harzel[/MENTION], [MENTION=413]Uller[/MENTION], and probably one or two others I've left out, thing the answer is "Yes, it is permissible per se; and does not automatically fail, and permits the player of the elf to make a DEX check to remain unseen and unheard."

My question is - what happens, in the ficion, to constitute the attempt to hide? The human can already see the elf through the snow - what changes so that the human can no longer do this? Does the snow get heavier? Does it suddenly blow into the human's face, briefly blinding him/her? It's all very well to say that the elf "blinks out of the radar", but how? Why? What has happened, in the fiction, to bring this result about?

Plaguescarred, if you think the answer is camouflage, what is happening in the fiction at the moment the action is declared, such that the non-camouflaged elf suddenly becomes camouflaged? (The reason I thought of chameleon-like camouflage is because that seemed the most obvious answer I could think of.)

Can the elf, in effect, use a supernatural ability at will while in the snow?

I'm still a little unclear on the situation. Was the templar NPC merely invisible, or was s/he making some effort to hide? Also, were there any other PCs present, or just the one that was the target of the psionic attack? I don't know about 4e, but 5e makes it clear (as I'm sure you know) that an invisible creature's location is known until it begins trying to hide
4e's Stealth rules are almost identical to 5e's hiding rules (or maybe, given the sequence of authorship, I should state that the other way around) - the only significant differences are that 4e's rules are stated slightly more formally in terms of their interaction with the cover/concealment/LoS rules, and it also has more formal rules for the difficulty imposed on the DEX check by moving. In 4e, as in 5e, if you attack a target whose location you are guessing but don't know, you take a penalty to the attack (-5 in 4e, rather than 5e's disadvantage).

In the scenario I'm describing, the templar was (from memory) around 20 feet away from the PC in question; stood up (to negate an attack penalty); used the psionic effect that creates the invisibility to that foe; and then attempted to hide (in the sense of being still and quiet). The opposed rolls were made, and the templar won, and hence - by the rules - became hidden, unable to be seen or heard by the PC and with his/her location unkown.

The templar's position was suspected, though - I don't think any other PC was telling the targetted PC where the templar was, but area where the conflict was occurring was a square surrounded by buildings, and the PC was standing in the nearest exit (between two building). And the PC can also be fairly confident that, if the templar moved, it wasn't very far (in the fiction, because the character didn't notice any footsteps, dust etc; mechanically, this is expressed by the fact that moving more than 10' imposes a -5 or worse penalty on the DEX check, and the PC has a high bonus for Perception and so the player can be confident that anyone who beat the check probably wasn't taking movement penalties).

I think the slight awkwardness of the situation (as I felt it, at least) was the contrast between the relative certainty that the templar must be in the same place where he stood up, with the "official" situation that his location was unknown to the PC. As I think about it, I think this tension has the following cause: in the fiction, the PC continues to believe - intellectually, if you like - that the templar hasn't moved, but suddenly lacks perceptual access to this truth; whereas, at the table, the players' understanding of the situation is purely intellectual, because they are not actually in a dusty square between building looking at a templar. So the player of the PC doesn't experience the same contrast, and sudden lack of perceptual information, that the PC does: the player continues to have the intellectual belief about the location of the templar, and is simply contrasting this with another intellectual belief that the PC can no longer perceive that location.

As I reflect on it, I'm thinking more about how I need to work on my narration of this sort of situation (it could well come up again, given the prevelance of psionics in Dark Sun). I can't substitute perceptual for intellectual beliefs, but can try and make it clearer what has happened to the PC (emphasising the sudden loss of perceptual access to the templar's location), and avoid using more intellectual-type language (like "You don't know where the templar is") which tends to produce the slight dissonance I've tried to describe above (because the player really does know where the templar is, or at least has a pretty good idea of it).

I hope the above makes the situation a bit clearer.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I've juxtaposed these two quotes because they hone in on the issue that I'm most interested in.

Here's the ingame situation I have in mind: it is snowing; a wood elf is standing in the snow, being observed by a human (let's say they're even conversing); and then the player of the wood elf (be that player or GM) declares "I am going to try and hide from the human."

Is that action declaration permissible per se? Does it automatically fail, because the elf is under observation?

My sense of this discussion is that Plaguescarred, @Maxperson, @Harzel, @Uller, and probably one or two others I've left out, thing the answer is "Yes, it is permissible per se; and does not automatically fail, and permits the player of the elf to make a DEX check to remain unseen and unheard."

My question is - what happens, in the ficion, to constitute the attempt to hide? The human can already see the elf through the snow - what changes so that the human can no longer do this? Does the snow get heavier? Does it suddenly blow into the human's face, briefly blinding him/her? It's all very well to say that the elf "blinks out of the radar", but how? Why? What has happened, in the fiction, to bring this result about?

Plaguescarred, if you think the answer is camouflage, what is happening in the fiction at the moment the action is declared, such that the non-camouflaged elf suddenly becomes camouflaged? (The reason I thought of chameleon-like camouflage is because that seemed the most obvious answer I could think of.)

Can the elf, in effect, use a supernatural ability at will while in the snow?

I say yes. I've said more than one that I view it as a quasi-supernatural ability. To me, the elf is visible because he isn't trying not to be. Once he tries to be unseen and unheard in the falling snow, a stealth roll happens to see if the elf is successful at fading into the snow.

Remove ads