• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DM Help: Tips and Tricks for Monsters In Combat

In Barbarian legend in character, Barbarians attack more savagely and ignore some of the shock of wounds while doing so.

But how does the Rakshasa know that they ignore more wounds than they do more damage?

In this case, it doesn't matter. "Hit yourself as hard as possible" might cause the barbarian to rage, but since he'll be hitting himself with a magic weapon, rage doesn't confer resistance anyway. He's not bear totem, he's wolf.

A command "kill yourself as quickly as possible" will leverage the barbarian's own knowledge, maybe even the player's knowledge. The player knows whether raging will speed up his suicide or not.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
In this case, it doesn't matter. "Hit yourself as hard as possible" might cause the barbarian to rage, but since he'll be hitting himself with a magic weapon, rage doesn't confer resistance anyway. He's not bear totem, he's wolf.

A command "kill yourself as quickly as possible" will leverage the barbarian's own knowledge, maybe even the player's knowledge. The player knows whether raging will speed up his suicide or not.

"kill yourself as quickly as possible" might also have the Barbarian jump off the closest tower or cliff.

If he does attack himself, does he get advantage? Is it an automatic critical? That's DM dependent as is the actions the Barbarian takes (because the player is not controlling the Barbarian).

My only point is about metagaming knowledge. The players know that they have advantage on a D20 roll when a foe is prone. The characters know that prone foes are easier to hit.

It's a different type of knowledge. One deals with game mechanics, the other doesn't. Just because a DM can figure out the best possible game mechanic does not mean that the Barbarian PC has that same knowledge.

At least he'll be taking 23-ish points of damage per hit (he's got GWM), and I won't let him rage so he won't have resistance.

You posted that as DM, you were going to make the decision on what the Barbarian does based off of game rules (i.e. metagaming knowledge).

You posted that as DM, you were going to make the decision on what the Barbarian does based off of game rules (i.e. metagaming knowledge).

I had forgotten I wrote that, but presumably I meant "I the Rakshasa" and not "I the DM", because as DM I don't care[1] whether he rages or not. Again, "kill yourself as quickly as possible" leverages the player's and/or the PC's knowledge of himself, which means "rage if you're using a magic weapon, otherwise don't."

[1] Well, as DM I'm actually slightly rooting for the barbarian to survive. I enjoy the look of shock on a player's face when a PC dies to a threat he had underestimated, and I do think it's important that they can die, but overall I like it better when they don't die. Which does not stop them from killing them, because... The Cold Equations dictate that player decisions have consequences.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
It sounds to me that some people here on the boards have difficulty distinguishing between metagaming knowledge and in character knowledge. It's sometimes not easy. But knowing that a raging barbarian does more damage is fine. Knowing that a raging barbarian feels less pain while raging, fine. Knowing that one ability is stronger than the other and which it is? Metagaming. IMO.
Barbarians fight each other all the time, and the effects of rage are pretty significant. With the effects of rage as the mechanics describe them, barbarian on barbarian fights are extended slugfests.

bgbarcus

Explorer
What creative suggestions can I get for lizardfolk tactics? I've always liked them as antagonists but I tend to use them so they are barely distinguishable from orcs, goblins, etc.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
What creative suggestions can I get for lizardfolk tactics? I've always liked them as antagonists but I tend to use them so they are barely distinguishable from orcs, goblins, etc.

To my mind, the distinguishing trait is the swim speed and the ability to hold their breath underwater for 15 minutes. Lizardfolk could therefore pop up out of the water, throw javelins, then dive back down. Murky swamp water might also provide good enough cover to Hide which might give them advantage on the subsequent attack. Attacking every other round with advantage offsets the disadvantage for attacking beyond 30 feet with a javelin as well. Soften up the PCs like this for a few rounds before wading into melee to finish them off. If the characters go into the water to pursue the lizardfolk, I'd have them try to grapple the PCs and pull them under, holding them beneath the surface to drown (or to at least suffer disadvantage on attack depending on their particular weapon).

I wrote a short-form scenario involving lizardfolk that you might find useful: I AM THE LIZARD KING!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Drowning takes 1+CON minutes plus 1+CON rounds. Not really something that can happen in combat-time.

As DM, I'm not required to follow that rule when lizardfolk are body-punching the air out of you 10 feet below the surface of the water.

Or worse, tickling it out of you.

There is value in killing PCs using pure PHB rules. Players have more reason to feel cheated if you killed their PC using an on-the-spot ruling that subverts PHB expectations like "I can hold my breath for a long time." Per the OP, I'd like this thread to be about tricks that work without requiring DM inventions like Tarrasques throwing trees. Lizardmen stealth attacks from underwater is fine. Lizardmen tickling you into drowning quicker is... innovative.

2. Grappling with dragons. Use reach bite to grapple and carry someone off while flying, usually someone lightly armored. Carry them to isolated location, kill them, and repeat process until party figures out how to stop it. Smart parties should prepare for this eventuality in advance. Note: This tactic may be cruel in 5E. In 3E this tactic was countered by freedom of movement liberally cast upon the group often using disposable magic items. That is much more difficult in 5E. Though it is easier for a character with athletics or acrobatics to resist the grapple. Use your judgment to determine if you will wipe the party using this tactic.

I would try and get my DM to let us use the Climbing on Larger Creatures rule, so if he tried to haul off the wizard at least some of us could jump on for the ride.

Remove ads