DM Monster Library/Encounter Builder

bobcat_grad

First Post
I put together little application that allows you to copy monsters you want to use for a campaign into a single library and use that to build encounters targeted for party size/level. It also gives a visual representation of the difficulty of the encounter you made compared to all party number/target level intersections.

Attached are few screen shots of the application as well as a .zip file including the installer (MonsterEncounterBuilder.msi). Just unzip the .zip file, and double click the .msi.

How to use it:

This works in conjunction with the WOTC monster builder. If you right click on any monster in the WOTC builder, you will see an option to 'Copy as Rich Text.' Then in my app, you click the Paste Rich Text Monster menu option up top.

Hopefully, the rest of the application is self explanatory. You can save and load encounters and there's an option to view the current encounter in a sheet you can print out that has you monster stats in a grid format (image attached).

If you have suggestions, scream. I'm thinking of adding a feature to auto-gen random encounters based on role, level, defenses, and XP target.

Tech notes:
I'd consider this a beta build right now - not fully tested, so if you find any bugs, let me know. If you're running this on Vista, you'll need to run it in Administrator mode. If anyone comes across a monster that won't 'paste' let me know, I have a feeling there are still a few formats I'm not handling correctly.

UPDATE 12/21/2009

Made an update to address some things people noted.

Attached is the new install. You'll need to uninstall the previous version if you've already installed it.

If you have already installed the previous one and would like to keep the monsters you already imported, make a copy of the Library.sdf file in the program directory BEFORE you uninstall (the uninstall will wipe the file). Then after installing this install, copy the old Library.sdf file back into the directory.

Based on some of the feedback I've heard about some people having issues with importing monsters (while I'm having zero issues with the same monster), I added something that will allow me to track down what's going on. If you encounter an error when pasting a monster, under the 'File' menu option, there's a 'Copy Last Monster Paste Error' option that will copy the exception error and the rich text of the monster that caused the error to your clipboard. This info can be sent to me (via private message or post in the thread if you like) and I can figure out what's going on.

Thanks!

UPDATE 12/26/09

After fighting printing stuff for a little while, attached is a new installation.

New features include:

1. When you copy and paste a monster, you'll be able to hover over the monster name in the list, and get a popup of the monster details from the WOTC monster builder (look in one of the images attached to this post). This way you can review all of the monster stats right up front.

2. When you View the Encounter sheet and then print it, you'll now get additional pages beyond the grid showing the monsters used in the encounter. Additional pages printed out will include that same monster block (2 per page) for reference sake. This will only print out 1 per type of monster. So if you added 3 of Monster A and 2 of Monster B, you'll print out a sheet with Monster A and Monster B block on it (again, check the image attached to the post).

This install will require a complete uninstall of previous versions. I had to make a change to the database structure to handle the rich text monster block storage, so you'll have to import your monsters all over again.

Next thing I'm working on will be the auto-gen encounter (pick monster roles to include, party size, and encounter level) based off of your library entries.

Again - if you have issues - let me know.

Attachments

• Encounter Builder Screenshot 1.jpg
    Encounter Builder Screenshot 1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 793
  • Encounter Builder Screenshot 2.jpg
    Encounter Builder Screenshot 2.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 902
  • Encounter Builder Printout.jpg
    Encounter Builder Printout.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 708
  • PrintOut.jpg
    PrintOut.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 556
  • MonsterEncounterInstaller.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 294
Last edited:

jester_gl

First Post
This application is really useful. I know I will be playing around with it. I didn't encounter any problem for now, and will be reporting back to you if I find any problems.

msherman

First Post
If you have suggestions, scream. I'm thinking of adding a feature to auto-gen random encounters based on role, level, defenses, and XP target.

That looks nice. What I currently do is past the rich text into a 2 column open office document, and then add lines after the end for tracking current hit points, and recharge powers for each moster, so I don't need to open the MM during a fight and flip between pages to each monster. If your app could lay out a sheet like that automatically, it would be a huge time saver.

msherman

First Post
Check out the 3rd image in the first post. The app currently does what you asked minus the noting of recharge powers.

No, that's just a one line summary of each monster -- I'm talking about a page with the full monster block -- all the powers, etc in the RTF, 2-4 monsters per page (depending on how big the monster block is).

h112211

First Post
I put together little application that allows you to copy monsters you want to use for a campaign into a single library and use that to build encounters targeted for party size/level. It also gives a visual representation of the difficulty of the encounter you made compared to all party number/target level intersections.

Cool stuff!

Would you mind if I added support for importing your encounters into D&D Minion? See my sig for details.

jester_gl

First Post
I encountered a crash while playing around.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Add a monster to the Encounter Monsters box
2. Without selecting anything, double click on the Remove from Encounter button.

Also tried copying the Abyssal Ghoul Devourer and you get the following message: There was an error with the Rich Text of the monster. Please try again.

While searching for a cause to this, I tried other monster coming from P2 Demon Queen Enclave and found the same issue with some of these monster. (Cave widow, Al'ahz'ahmin, Arath Nightcaller, Baaldran, Boneclaw Impaler, etc.) Going alphabetically, the first monster which didn't cause problem was the Drow Battle Wight.
Monster from other expansion are sometime causing problem (Urum-Shar, Ancient Brown Dragon from Draconomicon, Chromatic Dragon does).

Edit: Issue with Zombie from Monster Manual 1. I'll try some workaround but this one is more troublesome. How can I make an encounter without using Zombies? :)

Edit 2: Managed to copy the Zombie by changing his initiative from -1 to 0. There was probably a problem with your display setting preventing negative value. I still can't find the problem with the other monster though.

Last edited:

bobcat_grad

First Post
Thanks for the tips on the monsters that aren't working. WOTC keeps adding/changing the order of how things appear in their monsters, I'm going to just have to handle all of the permutations.

Also, I was able to reproduce the "Remove from Encounter" crash. That was me being dumb.

I'll get to working on a fix for the things noted above.

Remove ads