• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM or GM?

Do you prefer the term DM or GM?

• DM

Votes: 195 49.6%
  • GM

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Both

Votes: 91 23.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Huh?

Votes: 7 1.8%

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Dungeon Master for D&D. Storyteller for World of Darkness. Game Master for other games which don't have a more specific title.

I use the term they write in the books - but it wouldn't bother me if my Savage Tide players or my future Vampire: The Requiem players called me "the GM". I wouldn't like to be called "the Storyteller" for D&D, though, because it's not the generic title anymore than
"Dungeon Master" is.

Wombat

First Post
Since I only rarely run D&D and since I play a multiplicity of systems, I far and away prefer GM -- I am a gamemaster, not a dungeonmaster.

Heck, even when I run D&D/D20, I rarely use dungeons...

RFisher

Explorer
I prefer "judge". I tend to prefer words to acronyms. I tend to prefer existing terms to new coinages. I think it fits what I typically expect of the role: Making impartial judgements.

But, I tend to say/write "GM"--or whatever the game I'm talking about uses--because communication is usually about being understood.

Neo

Explorer
I'm a traditionalist, I like DM (Dungeon Master), not exactly all genre friendly but I like it all the same :)

Psion

Adventurer
if( game == D&D )
{
title = "DM"
}
else
{
title = "GM"
}

Even if the game in question uses referee, storyteller, narrator-guide, gaming operations director, etc., it's GM.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads