• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM or GM?

Do you prefer the term DM or GM?

• DM

Votes: 195 49.6%
  • GM

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Both

Votes: 91 23.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Huh?

Votes: 7 1.8%

Atavar

First Post
If you are a DM/GM, do you prefer to be called a DM or a GM?

If you are a player, do you call your DM/GM a DM or a GM?

I run a D&D Shackled City campaign set in Eberron. Not too long ago one of my players referred to me as the GM. I had always been called a DM, and for some reason my skin crawled when he called me a GM. It was not a big deal, really...but I did ask him to call me a DM from now on :)

Oddly, in my mind a GM is simply a more generic term for DM. DM's are a subset of GM's. Nevertheless, I had the reaction I did, and that got me wondering if anyone else out there is particular on which term he or she uses.

Later,

Atavar

sjmiller

Explorer
I tend to use DM when referring to D&D; GM when referring to GURPS, Living Legends, or DragonQuest; and Ref when referring to Traveller. Personally, I don't care what the players call me, as long as they are doing it with respect and are paying attention when I talk. I voted Both, but I would really vote "Both and a few others too!"

Mercule

Adventurer
I actually don't like the term "DM" much. I don't mean that in a "makes my skin crawl" way. I just prefer "GM". D&D is not the only game I GM and I don't really see myself specializing in D&D. Thus, "GM" is more appropriate than "DM".

Actually, it occasionally bugs me to see "DM" used as much as it is here, on a freakin' D&D board.

Glyfair

Explorer
sjmiller said:
I tend to use DM when referring to D&D; GM when referring to GURPS, Living Legends, or DragonQuest; and Ref when referring to Traveller.

I only started using DM here after being "yelled at" for daring to use the term GM for D&D. In fact, I prefer GM because it applies to all games and I think it's silly to need dozens of terms just based on the RPG being played.

I don't object to DM, I just prefer to always use GM.

Remove ads