• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM-player conflict; input appreciated

swrushing

First Post
well my comment, while i mostly agree with fus on this one, would be to point out that, for me and those i game with, a house rule saying "clerics aren't available as PCs in this game" is one thing and probably reasonable and fair.

A house rule saying ONE SPECIFIC PLAYER is not allowed to run a cleric in a game is a whole different matter. No matter how you cut it, it is favoritism and thats rarely or never a good GMing practice.

fusangite

First Post
Rel said:
What if NOT going were to be the cause of an emotional breakdown for you. Then would it be covered under the Canadian National Healthcare system? ;)
Sadly, the province I'm in covers a lot less psychiatric care than my former province of residence. On the plus side, in Ontario, my feet are covered by the system whereas they got de-listed back in BC.

However, the reason I'm posting is that i spoke too soon. You inspired me to come to Gencon. See you in 5 weeks!

William Ronald

Explorer
fusangite said:
Bob is a bully who will accept nothing less than complete control over the people around him. When dealing with bullies, it's the same as when you were six. You can cave or you can stand up to them. It's not pretty but that's how it is.

To me, it seems that Force User and Hjormir have tried to be accomodating. I agree that someone who is unwilling to operate under the same rules as the rest of the gaming table can be a problem. If Bob does not understand how his behavior is impacting others, then I think it is time for Force User, Hjormir, Bob, and the other players to have an honest and open discussion about their feelings and views. People may get angry, and some may leave, but it will at least bring some resolution to the conflict.

I have a rule about games: If I am not having fun, leave. It seems that several people are not having fun, and that there will be a conflict between the players sooner or later. It might be best to avoid a big blow up and address the issues. At least, if people are truly friends, they will respect each other's opinions.

We have not heard from Force User or Hjormir in a while. I hope they are well, and I hope that our advice will help them.

ForceUser

Explorer
Bob's decided not to play, which is probably for the best. We seem to have too many conflicts when I am DM and he's a player, though ironically, we get along fine when a third party is DMing.

Thanks for the input, all.

William Ronald

Explorer
ForceUser said:
Bob's decided not to play, which is probably for the best. We seem to have too many conflicts when I am DM and he's a player, though ironically, we get along fine when a third party is DMing.

Thanks for the input, all.

ForceUser, I hope we have been of some help. A lot of us have gone through similar situations.

When I left my old gaming group, I felt it was for the best. Although I do not currently have a regular group, I have played in some games that were much more enjoyable for me than the ones in the old group. Hopefully, Bob will find a group better suited to him. I think it is important for all DMs and players to have fun. I hope that there were no hard feelings, Force User.

fusangite

First Post
ForceUser said:
Hurray!!!!!! That's the nicest thing I've ever heard about "Bob."

ForceUser said:
We seem to have too many conflicts when I am DM and he's a player, though ironically, we get along fine when a third party is DMing.
Ahah. This would have been helpful information to have earlier in the discussion. So it's a ForceUser vs. Bob thing and not a Bob vs. The World thing. Heh.

ForceUser

Explorer
Joshua Randall said:
Ahah. This would have been helpful information to have earlier in the discussion. So it's a ForceUser vs. Bob thing and not a Bob vs. The World thing. Heh.
Ah, the joys of internet communication. Funny, I threw that in as an afterthought, really. :p

it's not just me, though, he argues with all of his DMs. The others are just more patient than I.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
ForceUser said:
it's not just me, though, he argues with all of his DMs. The others are just more patient than I.

Well I still like you anyway and I hope the feeling is mutual after this thread. I'm glad that things got resolved and I wish you luck with the campaign.

And Fusangite, that's the best news I've heard all day! But I feel that I must advise you that it has been a really crappy day so you're not up against much. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads