D&D 5E DM purposely gimping my Warlock

Edit: whoops, had no idea this thread was so old/long! Feel free to ignore the below.

I play a 1st. lvl Human Warlock. I have 1 total lvl 1 spell slot. Until lvl 11 I will only have 2 spell slots total. The DM informed me last night that he has a couple of special house rules about resting. First off, you can only take 2 short rests per day and they have to be at least 8 hrs apart from each other. I was pretty upset considering short rests are the way Warlocks get their spell slots back. I only have 1 spell slot right now anyhow and will only have 2 through lvl 11 so basically this gimps me into being a 1 trick pony, completely reliant on my cantrips. Every time it is my turn I will only ever be able to cast Eldritch Blast repeatedly, boringly. My other cantrip is Blade Ward. When I tried to protest this to him he basically told me that I better re-roll into a different class then because this is how his game is going to be run. In addition, after a long rest he only allows you to regenerate 1 spent hit die back, rather than the half total hit dice you should get back, according to the rules of the game RAW. These changes especially affect the Warlock and he basically doesn't care. I am considering quitting his game as a result.

What do you all think about his crazy house rules and how it would affect you if you were playing the human Warlock?

The big impacts are 1.) slow healing, and 2.) eight hours between short rests. I think it's a legitimate ruleset, but it does make warlocks somewhat less attractive, and it makes clerics almost mandatory. I'd probably play a Sorlock under this ruleset, since Sorlocks have all the good parts of Warlocks but are based off a long rest economy. Alternately I would ditch Warlock completely and play a wizard or a cleric or maybe a paladin.

It's too bad that you didn't know the house rules in advance, but that's water under the bridge. At least you know before play starts so you can revise your strategy accordingly, or decline to play.

Remove ads