• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM seeking advice and tips

hellkyte

Explorer
Ok how's this sound

The paragon tier starts I Darkon, and after a few deeds the characters are approached by azalin in disguise and asked to acquire certain artifacts that lay sealed within darkon that will according to him help the adventurers free all who are trapped In the realm of dread when in fact these artifacts combined with azalins knowledge of magic will in actuality weaken the borders allowing the darklords to leave thoer personal realm to claim anohers lord's realm and add it to thier own. Now at the start of paragon they would have to escape darkon and regroup on either the outer edges of the core or one one of he islands and during thier return through the core begin dealing with the weaker darklords first.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
The paragon tier starts I Darkon, and after a few deeds the characters are approached by azalin in disguise and asked to acquire certain artifacts that lay sealed within darkon that will according to him help the adventurers free all who are trapped In the realm of dread when in fact these artifacts combined with azalins knowledge of magic will in actuality weaken the borders allowing the darklords to leave thoer personal realm to claim anohers lord's realm and add it to thier own. Now at the start of paragon they would have to escape darkon and regroup on either the outer edges of the core or one one of he islands and during thier return through the core begin dealing with the weaker darklords first.

This seems like a decent idea; I would keep in mind the higher power levels in 4E. At lower levels, it may be easy to have "Azalin appear in disguise", but that may (actually, PROBABLY) not work when the PC's get to higher level. I would have a backup plan in case the PC's see through that. (Blackmail is always a good option if the group is good or unaligned. [And evil people will have a hard time in Ravenloft.])

There was actually a 2E module series with a similar concept you may want to look at; the "Great Conjuncition" series, where Strahd was trying to escape Ravenloft. You could probably take elements of it and tweak it for this.

I would talk to the players as well, acquaint them with Ravenloft if they're not already, give them an idea of what to expect from the setting. (IE Paladins/Clerics type classes may have a harder time than others due to their faith, and the altered effects of spells in Ravenloft [assuming you're using those aspects of the setting.])

Also, the Gazeeters put out by White Wolf for 3.5 Ravenloft are quite useful; they contain quite a few "Dread Plot Hooks" you may want to look at it for inspiration, and certainly look at the book that contains Darkon!

LMK how Ravenloft works in 4E; personally, if I run Ravenloft, I think it will be under 3.5/Pathfinder.

Last edited:

hellkyte

Explorer
I do want to include the spell change system in shadow, I just have to see how it would effect the powers of 4e and hopefully not screw any one over lol

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
I do want to include the spell change system in shadow, I just have to see how it would effect the powers of 4e and hopefully not screw any one over lol

My thought would be that anyone playng a Cleric n Ravenloft has an dea of what they're in store for; that's part of the fun, IMO! But, as I said, make sure to give them fair warning OOC first, wthout spoilng too much; it's only fair to the player!

But also, tyr not to UNDULY penalize one player too much, 'cause that's no fun. It's a fine line to walk, but really rewarding when done right.

Part of the fun of Ravenloft (agan, IMO) is the PC's not knowing who's good and who's evil just by concentrating or using a ritual; it's really more of "Judge by their actions" setting. (And it's fun to mess with players, sometimes. The Good Guy isn't always the one wearing white, and the Bad Guys don't necessarily wear black.)

Anyone else have ideas or thoughts on running Ravenloft? I'm curious how many people are still playing Ravenloft, and what systems/edition they're using.

Remove ads