• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Tip Jar -- is that going too far?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
MojoGM said:
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the totally negative response, but I am.

Gamers are indeed cheap. The sense of entitlement is overwhelming.

If I was playing with friends it would be one thing, but if I played in a store and the DM had a tip jar out I'd certainly tip if the game was worth it. Entertainment is worth paying money for in my opinion.

And then if you started tipping - and other player's didn't - and then you started getting preferential treatment, how long would the other players stick around?

Not saying this would happen, but it very well could happen.

Either everyone agrees to pay the same or nothing. Otherwise, it sets up a non-level playing field that would probably blow up eventually.

Crothian

First Post
MojoGM said:
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the totally negative response, but I am.

This is not about being cheap or a sense of entitlement. Thousands of gamers pay plenty of money to game at cons every year. If a DM feels they need to be paid for them to DM then charge people money. But a tip jar is just not the solution.

Dragon Snack

First Post
If you want to charge, charge up front. Despite the cries from people here, many people DO pay to play. They usually call them Conventions - with not only an entrance fee, but sometimes paid tickets as well. They usually cut out the DM (or just give them free entrance) so it can pass peoples sniff test, but it IS paying to play...

Pre-edit: My groups are tightwads, but I figure you don't need to read a 3 paragraph rant about it...

Edit: I guess I should have left it in, that way I would have had a reason for Crothian to beat me to the punch...

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
I absolutely hate this idea and so will the players. Trust me. It screams, "I have a huge EGO! Pay me money because I am the greatest!"

Now, this is a public place you're running this game in right? For players that sign up or contact you because you advertise that you're going to run such and such games at such and such times at your FLGS? Well, that sounds similar to convention games and people pay to play at those games (most conventions, at least). If you want to set up a system where people pay a couple bucks to the store owner that he then turns over to you with maybe a small part paid to him/her then that sounds completely feasible.

Another option is if you need a certain book to run your games, which you do not have, see if the players will pitch in to "help" you buy it. I say "help" because the book is to your benefit, too, and you shouldn't expect them to pay the entire cost.

One last thing, if you are providing snacks then you are well within your right to ask the players to pitch in to the snack fund if they want you to continue providing them. Otherwise, let them know they are responsible for their own goodies (actually the better way to go).

But DO NOT put out a tip jar at your games. That's just awful!

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
MojoGM said:

If I was playing with friends it would be one thing, but if I played in a store and the DM had a tip jar out I'd certainly tip if the game was worth it. Entertainment is worth paying money for in my opinion.

Gamers are not cheap. Most of them are pretty generous people (the ones with jobs!). The idea of paying one guy to run a private game is silly because without those other guys sitting on the other side of the DM's screen, there would be no game. You could argue that the DM should pay the players as well. They're providing the DM with as much entertainment as he's providing them. Sure, he did all the preparation, but it'd just sit there if the players didn't come and allow the DM to share his story and the players interact with it.

It's just too much of a collaborative experience to rationalize paying to play in anything other than a convention setting or a pay to play situation in a more formal informal setting such as at a local hobby store with people that you don't really know.

When it's just a bunch of friends and casual acquaintances getting together it's just retarded. I had a guy here in Las Vegas try it and he got laughed at and some of the players left.

Gallo22

First Post
I don't think it's silly at all.

What's the difference between this and a convention? If my DM wanted a few $$ to cover the cost of the $20.00 adventure, paper, miniatures that match the adventure he is running, etc., I would have no problem giving him/her a few $$ a week to play.

As far as gamers being cheap...not all of them may be, but in my experience many are...

MythMage

First Post
I agree that charging to play in a public environment is appropriate and the best way to handle it. A tip jar is likely not worth your while.

Last edited:

Put down another tally for someone surprised at all the negative responses. They put tip jars at Starbucks for crying out loud. I can't believe that the general American populous is willing to hand over their change from a $5 cup of coffee, but the general gaming community is not willing to fork anything over to a person who spends their time and effort to entertain you.

Then again, I've been the underappreciated DM before. It's an experience that stays with you.

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
Gallo22 said:
I don't think it's silly at all.

What's the difference between this and a convention? If my DM wanted a few $$ to cover the cost of the $20.00 adventure, paper, miniatures that match the adventure he is running, etc., I would have no problem giving him/her a few $$ a week to play.

As far as gamers being cheap...not all of them may be, but in my experience many are...

Well, since you ask, the biggest difference is that the DM doesn't make a single penny off of games he/she runs at a convention. It goes to pay for the hall, the staff putting it together, hall security, etc, etc, etc. Not the DM. At Gen Con 07 I ran 4 events for Goodman Games, another 4 for Paizo, and an after hours game for a bunch of other game designers. Did I get paid for any of it? I got a free badge, but otherwise nope. And trust me, I busted my ass far more than I do at my job that pays the bills. But I did it because I truly love running games and providing that entertainment for people.

What you describe above about books and minis and stuff is what I suggested earlier about asking your players to pitch in to help you buy game related materials. This is acceptable. My players have done it before for me, in fact. But asking them to pay to play in your game is not the same thing. That distinction needs to be clarified.

As far as tips go, most of us do not make our living being a DM. If we were actually monetarily compensated appropriately, we would have no need of tips. That guy behind the counter at Starbucks pouring your coffee is paid crap. He needs those tips because what he's making probably isn't enough to live off of. Same thing with the pizza guy and so on and so on.

OK. I've had my say and then some. And the OP has already said he won't be putting out a tip jar, so it's kinda moot at this point.

Remove ads