• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM wanting to compensate for hight stats..

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I have given characters 7 extra build points before when I wanted somewhat more heroic characters the points usually get spent non optimally on purpose... but with as high as you are doing ummmm ... aint not such critter.

Backgrounds can be used to give well out of class flavor... thats one of there functions... for instance the Minotaur built as ranger or barbarian could be give a background that included streetwise for more fighter flavor too. .. Even if the character was built multiclass in the past might not mean they need to be in 4e.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
We have made very good use of the backgrounds to work with that flavor and get the skills and stuff in line with the previous characters. I love the background mechanic. It totally r0x0r5!

I am going to recommend the Barabarian/Ranger retrofit to the player.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The swordmage could mark a bad guy then let the Barbarian take him and go help somebody else.... that would allow the barbarian in spite of very flavorfully leading with his chin to be way less glass cannon. The two coop very nicely...

renau1g

First Post
Xenon - I see nothing wrong with it either, sure they're higher, but IMO the unoptimized group should be fine as is. If you had a bunch of twinked out PC's maybe I'd consider something different, but you're also playing with only 4 PC's and regardless of how high their stats are they still suffer from the Economy of Actions of 4e. So as a group they still only get 4 standard actions, 4 minors, 4 moves. They are much more susceptible to dazing/status effects than a full group so I'd actually caution a bit with using those type of monsters, especially daze + immobilize as it becomes unfun a lot of times for PC's. I played with my wife and friend and we rolled up characters pretty similar to these stats, but there was only 3 PC's so again the minor bump in off defenses and hp was negated by the smaller party.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Xenon - I see nothing wrong with it either, sure they're higher, but IMO the unoptimized group should be fine as is. If you had a bunch of twinked out PC's maybe I'd consider something different, but you're also playing with only 4 PC's and regardless of how high their stats are they still suffer from the Economy of Actions of 4e. So as a group they still only get 4 standard actions, 4 minors, 4 moves. They are much more susceptible to dazing/status effects than a full group so I'd actually caution a bit with using those type of monsters, especially daze + immobilize as it becomes unfun a lot of times for PC's. I played with my wife and friend and we rolled up characters pretty similar to these stats, but there was only 3 PC's so again the minor bump in off defenses and hp was negated by the smaller party.

With your tile of "Evil DM" I find your advice suspect! =:confused:;)

Thanks

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
f you had a bunch of twinked out PC's maybe I'd consider something different, but you're also playing with only 4 PC's and regardless of how high their stats are they still suffer from the Economy of Actions of 4e. So as a group they still only get 4 standard actions, 4 minors, 4 moves. They are much more susceptible to dazing/status effects than a full group so I'd actually caution a bit with using those type of monsters, especially daze + immobilize as it becomes unfun a lot of times for PC's.

I suggested adding a NPC squishy mostly to give the defenders somebody to defend but also because of this.

mkill

Adventurer
@FreeXenon: I gather from your comments that your group hasn't played much 4th edition yet. It's a good idea to treat 4th edition as a completely new game. Some things that make perfect sense in 2nd or 3rd edition create a crapload of issues in 4th edition. Vice versa, stuff that is an endless annoyance in previous edition doesn't come up at all.

First of all: Hybrids. Just don't. Yes, they can be very effective in the hands of an experienced 4th-ed player, but it's also very easy to create a crapton of issues with them. Let your players select one class that fits the character most, reskin the non-rules parts as necessary. For most concepts, it's easier to achieve them with a feat feats and an item rather than full hybrid / multiclass. That Fighter / Paladin / Warlord can easily be turned into a pure Paladin. He'll still smack things with a sword and inspire his allies in battle.

Second: Explain the roles to them (Striker, Defender, Leader, Controller) and make sure each party member has one. It will prevent a lot of TPKs if everyone knows what to do. One leader, one defender, two strikers works perfectly. Two defenders can work too if one is a fighter or paladin and the other a swordmage.

Third: 4th edition groups don't need NPC healers to travel with them. It's easy to overlook just by reading the rules, but most 4th edition healing happens between combats. With a short rest, every PC is back to full without the need for a healer, they just spend their healing surges. Duri g combat, you'll hardly see more than one or two healing surges spent, and these can be supplied by the leader. Many classes also have dailyand encounter powers that provide self-healing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads