DMG Intro Adventure - Big Spoiler!

Staffan

Legend
I'm getting ready to start running this for a party of four (ranger, wizard, paladin, warlord). They've got the healing going on, but I'm a little worried about how they'll take on the fights. I might just give them an item that grants +1 to all attacks and defenses: this should be the equivalent of knocking all monsters down by one level, right?
I'd knock off a few of the monsters instead of using the same number of monsters but weaker. Might be hard with solos, though.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I'm looking for something super-simple to do. An NPC who I have to run definitely won't work for that; knocking off monsters might work, but I enjoy having a lot of targets (and don't want to have to adjust stats if I can help it). If the players understand the item is temporary, would it account for all necessary adjustments?

Daniel

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
When I ran the adventure, 2 of 4 PCs (warforged Fighter and gnome Feylock, leaving bugbear Rogue and githyanki Wizard) went down against the dragon - at least one because of Bloodied Breath - and a TPK seemed quite possible. Then the Fighter rolled a 20 on a death save and got back up. :) He even managed to keep standing after the dragon's next hit. Ultimately, the PCs triumphed and stabilized the gnome, who had collected 2 failed death saves by that point.

Starbuck_II

First Post
It might help if you use the correct HP for a YWD from the MM, which I believe is 200. For an average party of PCs, that's probably 1 extra round of damage they don't have to put up with, and 1 round can turn almost dead into all dead. :)
The Monster Manual one is a lower level.

You fight a Level 4 in the adventure, but the MM had a Level 3.

Tellerve

• Human Paladin - Went down twice and was dying at the end of the battle with no healing surges (having spent his last to do a lay on hands on the rogue right before going down). Her mark was very useful during the battle (the extra damage when harming the rogue and warlock helped).

How's that extra damage for attacking two characters work when you only have one creature to mark and the mark says that the creature only takes damage the first time it chooses not to attack you? Were you doing something like having the paladin stop challenging to re-challenge the next round? Which I believe you can't do and would be really cheesy.

As for the one in the DMG being level 4 white dragon, where do you see that? I see it having higher hit points and a higher reflex save, but I think that is all I can find in differences. The level is stated at level 3 for both as well as 750xp for both.

Is this also a point where if the players had just left and rested or maybe had an inkling that something bad was back there they could have prepared themselves better? Figuring that the wyrmpriest was the finale?

Tellerve

Last edited:

Vempyre

Explorer
Player skills in boosting each other and tactically helping each other makes a lot of difference in 4E. That's why you see so much difference from one group to another when it comes to defeat these encounters.

As they gain experience with 4E your players should get better at it. Until then I guess solo monsters are a bit much for them.

How's that extra damage for attacking two characters work when you only have one creature to mark and the mark says that the creature only takes damage the first time it chooses not to attack you? Were you doing something like having the paladin stop challenging to re-challenge the next round? Which I believe you can't do and would be really cheesy.

If I am reading this correctly I think you or your DM works Divine Challenge incorrectly. It does damage each round that the target is marked and chooses to attack something besides the paladin ( and of course the paladin keeps engaging it )

thundershot

Adventurer
If I am reading this correctly I think you or your DM works Divine Challenge incorrectly. It does damage each round that the target is marked and chooses to attack something besides the paladin ( and of course the paladin keeps engaging it )

No, it says "before the start of your next turn"... which means only in the round after you used your Divine Challenge.

Chris

Caliban

Rules Monkey
We went into this with a party of 6 PC's - Dwarf fighter, Dragonborn warlord, elven ranger-archer, human cleric, eladrin wizard, and elven rogue.

TPK - the dragon beat everyone on initiative, flew up, breathed on the entire party, hit the fear aura, spent an action point, full attacked someone. The party spent their actions healing, being stunned, or standing back up. Next round - the dragons breath weapon had recharged, so we got breathed on again, and the dragon spent it's 2nd action point, and dropped someone else. PC's repeated their actions - healing, being stunned, standing up, this round the archer is able to attack. Round 3 - dragon breaths again. Several of us used our Daily or Encounter powers when we were able to act, but most missed. The dragon didn't miss much.

By round 4 the cleric and the warlord had used all their "use a healing surge" abilities, and most people had used their 2nd wind. PC's starting landing their attacks, but it was mostly at will powers at this point.

It went steadily downhill after that.

We actually did about 75% of it's hit points before the last PC died.

Remove ads