D&D 5E DMG release date pushed back

sgtscott658

First Post
I have had no problem running 5E the last couple of months, WoTC provided pdf's of some common monsters, HotDQ can be run with out the DMG or MM also. Heck, will I really need the 5E DMG? I have my 1E and 3.5 DMG and I really dont need a bunch chapters telling me how to run a game, what type of campaigns there are and so on. So in essance, what is this DMG going to provide me that the older DMG's wont?

More than any book, the DMG will determine if my group fully embraces 5E (without the rule modules, the game thus far feels incomplete to me). So I am disappointed by this news, but I would rather have a better books a few weeks later.

Osgood

Adventurer
I have had no problem running 5E the last couple of months, WoTC provided pdf's of some common monsters, HotDQ can be run with out the DMG or MM also. Heck, will I really need the 5E DMG? I have my 1E and 3.5 DMG and I really dont need a bunch chapters telling me how to run a game, what type of campaigns there are and so on. So in essance, what is this DMG going to provide me that the older DMG's wont?

I'm having no trouble running the game. While I have enjoyed 5e, it hasn't hooked me the way 3e or 4e did. The DMG may be the key to doing so.

At various times the 5e DMG has been touted as a book of campaign options, similar to the Unearthed Arcana books. I'm sure it will have the usual DM tips, but the options are what interests me mist. The different rules modules have been suggested as a means to replicate various editions and play styles.

Been running 5e for about a month, now, and while I'd love to have the DMG, its lack hasn't stopped me from running an ongoing campaign. Between reflavoring monsters in the MM and making up magic items with cool abilities that shouldn't dramatically impact balance in combat, I haven't yet found anything vital missing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm salivating over this book. But I don't need it to sell me on the system, and you can run 5e--in earnest--without it.

At various times the 5e DMG has been touted as a book of campaign options, similar to the Unearthed Arcana books. I'm sure it will have the usual DM tips, but the options are what interests me mist. The different rules modules have been suggested as a means to replicate various editions and play styles.

Yeah, I may be misinformed, but I thought the DMG is going to have rules modules that you can add-on or swap-in to your game to make the game more to your preferred play style. That's what I'm looking forward to the most in regards to the DMG.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am happy about the news. I prefer higher quality over earlier release. I see an edition as a investment for the next decade, a month delay is irrelevant to me.

Remove ads