DMG2 - Replacing magic items with inherent bonuses?

Gort

Explorer
Has anyone tried using the rules from page 138 of the DMG2 to get rid of the "basic plus" magic items? I feel like my players are kind of snowed under with magic kit and they have to find new stuff basically all the time to keep up.

I'd also like to do a plotline where my characters end up imprisoned (it's a good backup if they lose a fight against my current baddies, too) and I'd like for them to be able to fight their way out with the gear from the first guards they overcome (minor thing, I know, but I hate the D&D trope where the captured characters' gear is always in a chest ten feet from their cell).

So, anyone tried the rules out? How did they work mechanically, and what did they mean for the feel of your game?

Otterscrubber

First Post
I actually posted this suggestion on teh house rules forum only to be told it had already been suggested as an option in the DMG2, which i don't have. We have not put it into play yet, but it sounds brilliant. Always seemed meta-gamey for all of oru PC loot to go into magic item purchases or creation. In fact I really never liked the idea of PCs being able to create anything they want or even being able to buy magic items like there's a magic item WalMart out there. Or getting an item at low levels and sticking with that item, it just isnt' realistic that someone is going to do that with the current system.

We'll give it some testing and I'll post again when we find out how well it works.

Taking away the

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Yep. I have a friend who used that option in his campaign. It was cool a campaign. I played a human barbarian, and didn't see a drop in my accuracy based on a half-orc barbarian I also played.

What's nice about it is that you play game where your weapons are constantly breaking, or otherwise being lost, and not suffer in accuracy.

Talysian

Explorer
It works just fine, just add one or two items a level with flavor and your good to go. Though I find the lack of armband damage a bit lacking for the melee striker types.

Gort

Explorer
It works just fine, just add one or two items a level with flavor and your good to go. Though I find the lack of armband damage a bit lacking for the melee striker types.

Really? I thought the Armbands of Standard Equipment and the Bracers of Standard Archer Equipment were generally considered to be unbalanced items. And surely you can still add them to your game, can't you?

Teemu

Hero
I've been using it and it works well, definitely a departure from the usual D&D game. Note that the rules still assume some magic items, but you can replace them with various boons, some given in DMG2. They suggest that you can come up with new ones by using magic items as a guideline, and that's what I've done. So, instead of the lesser amount of magic items, I've rewarded the PCs with boons modeled pretty strictly after magic armor, weapons, arm slots, etc. So even the Iron Armbands of Power are available. These boons work as regular abilities part of the classes in the game world, so a martial character's boon rewards are 'martial boons'. Plus, this still works with the CB, you just pretend the items are innate skills.

No magic item shops, no need to stuff magic trinkets in every nook and corner -- works great.

Really? I thought the Armbands of Standard Equipment and the Bracers of Standard Archer Equipment were generally considered to be unbalanced items. And surely you can still add them to your game, can't you?
lol @ "Iron Armbands of Standard Equipment" and "Bracers of Standard Archer Equipment". I must spread some XP around before giving it to Gort again.

deadsmurf

First Post
I'm using inherent bonuses for my new campaign, and also giving out the occasional magic item - but each player can only use a single magic item at a time (per tier, so 2 at paragon, 3 at epic... not that its making it to that level)
and I'm super happy with it so far!

Remove ads