D&D 4E DM'ing 4E - Stuff "Everybody Knows"

Zinovia

Explorer
Everyone knows

...that Guard Drakes are really scary for their level. "It hit for *how* much?!"

...that Wraiths are incredibly annoying. "You hit for 12? Reduce it by half for weakened, and again for insubstantial, and oh yeah, it regenerates 5. So that's -2 net damage. Nice hit!"

...that Mad Wraiths suck without a consistent radiant damage dealer. Insubstantial plus an aura that auto-dazes and can only be shut down by radiant attacks. Plus the fun of knowing that if anyone dies, they will become another wraith for you to fight and can't be rezzed. "We'd have finished them off except that Bob turned into a wraith, then killed Dragonbabe and Hairy Larry. Then they killed two people, and they killed two people, and they killed two people, and so on and so on... (if you get that reference it means you are old like me ;))

...that WotC modules never answer the basic questions your group is going to ask, such as "What has it got in its pocketses?" during the all-important looting of the bodies. The only exception to this is for plot-linking characters, who are invariably carrying incriminating notes from the BBEG of the next encounter area.

...that the Bracers of Archery and the Iron Armbands of Power are flat out better than every other arm item in the game, and if not banned, will become the only items used by ranged or melée combatants respectively.
"I said no, you can't have them, and that's final!".
"Aww, it's not fair! All the cool kids are wearing them!. I want to be just like everyone else!"

...that characters have cool abilities they want to be able to use. Provoke attacks of opportunity from the fighter, provide shadows for the rogue to sneak in, let minions charge in formation only to die in the wizard's area spell. Let the characters be awesome. Sure, you can spank them hard sometimes, but never go out of your way to target their weaknesses or avoid their strengths. Make them earn their victories, but let them show off the stuff they have worked hard to be good at.

Rechan

Adventurer
...that Wraiths are incredibly annoying. "You hit for 12? Reduce it by half for weakened, and again for insubstantial, and oh yeah, it regenerates 5. So that's -2 net damage. Nice hit!"
Indeed. Also:

...needlefang drakes are BROKEN. Check the errata.
Let the characters be awesome. Sure, you can spank them hard sometimes, but never go out of your way to target their weaknesses or avoid their strengths. Make them earn their victories, but let them show off the stuff they have worked hard to be good at.
Hit the Tiefling with fire attacks. At least once.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Threatening reach might be a good feature to add to more (but not all) large or bigger creatures. I don't see many that have it.
Boneclaws do. They shredded our rogue in one turn as he attempted to somersault over one of them. It may be a while before I (or any of the other DM's) inflict threatening reach upon this group again.

Mesh Hong

First Post
I like threatening reach, and use a reasonable amount of it. But I always make sure that the players realise a creature has threatening reach, usually by mentioning that "the ogre seems very proficient with its greatclub and seems capable of whacking anything that comes within its reach", or words to that effect.

Threatening reach is a tool that many solos and elites need to maintain a viable threat.

Mesh Hong

First Post
One of the most important things all DMs should know is that:

"The story is important, but it is not as important as the PCs or players. Never let your story get in the way of your PCs doing what they want, or your players having a good time".

This is one that I have to keep reminding myself of as I am prone to forgetting it and going off into my own little indulgent world.

mmaranda

First Post
To add to your statement. While the story and the PCs are important at no time should a player feel so confident in their role in the story that they will take unnecessary risks because they believe they won't die.

Be ready and willing to let PCs die and be able to still continue the story or start a new one that ran parallel to the previous one.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
It seems like 4E has traded hit points for conditions. In 3E, players got hit and lost hit points. In 4E, PC's get hit and are dazed (save ends). It can be very frustrating when the characters are dazed, stunned, immobilized, etc., for the entire encounter. :rant:

Having experienced this first-hand, I would say "Don't use At-Will Effects (especially Area Effects) every round."

Remove ads