• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DMing an old school module

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I tried a few times, and it didn't really work. My advice: replace the stat blocks, then look at the XP value to see each encounter's difficulty. If it's too high or low, adjust as necessary.

Interestingly, the only 1:1 conversion that worked perfectly was Ravenloft, but that was with old math.

Rune

Once A Fool
Has anyone had success dusting off a very old module that you own like AD&D 1 Ravenloft, and running it using new rules and replaced monsters?

If so, any tips or things to keep in mind?

You mean like this?

My advice is to figure out what elements of the adventure you want to evoke and don't let the details get in the way.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Has anyone had success dusting off a very old module that you own like AD&D 1 Ravenloft, and running it using new rules and replaced monsters?

Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. Just replaced monsters/NPCs with 5e equivalent or whipped up/converted them based on the info we had at the time.

Now that I have the MM, we've talked about doing a one-shot through B4 The Lost City or I3 Pharaoh.

Li Shenron

Legend

I don't know if it's a "success", but I have been doing that in a PbP game for the last year or so. I can't say which module it is, should some of the players have it and peek into it in advance ;) Anyway, I generally change names and vary locations and encounters a bit, so it may not be easily recognizable without a hint.

You don't need any conversion guidelines for monsters:

- use the 5e version of a monster if it exists
- if it doesn't, replace the monster with something similar that exists in 5e
- if you don't want to really replace the monster, use the mechanics of a similar 5e monster, and still use the general description of the old monster
- if it's not enough because some key special ability of the original monster is missing, browse 5e spells until you find one that can work for representing that feature and change the fluff if needed (if the special ability is passive, you can often use it as-is)

So for example, don't chastise yourself if you can't convert Gwarfles from "The castle on the hill" module because you have no Gwarfles in 5e, perhaps Goblins or Kobolds are practically the same. If they are not because of a key feature of Gwarfles, there's a very good change you can just port that feature on top of 5e Goblins or Kobolds with minimal adjustments. But keep calling them Gwarfles and describe them as such!

For the exploration phase:

- use the guidelines about ability checks to make up reasonable DCs for exploration tasks and challenges
- if you encounter something that defies the rules system (e.g. a challenge that cannot be solved with a check, but only by doing something specific), keep it as it is... don't try to reduce it to a mere skill check, unless you actually want to lose the original feeling of that module/edition

Maybe you find a magic mirror that allows teleportation if you dance under the moonlight in front of it with a garland of onions around your waste. Do you really need a conversion for that? :cool:

Thanks! I've read a bunch of different ways folks have done it. Some convert every detail, some like you, and others said they just ran an old module as is swapping only monster stats

Ok as promised, here is Rufus as a battle master fighter:

Rufus (Ftr 6)
Medium humanoid Lawful Good
Armor Class 19 (chainmail+1 & shield)
HitPoints 68 (6d10 + 18)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INTWIS CHA
18(+4) 13 (+1) 17 (+3) 10(+0) 14 (+2) 11 (+0)
Skills Athletics +7, Perception +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages Common
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Fighting Style: Protection
Second Wind: Bonus Action-recover1d10+6hp.
Action Surge: One additional action
Extra Attach: May attack twice per attack action
Martial Archetype: Battle Master- 5d8 superiority dice
Maneuver DC 15
Known Maneuvers: Disarming attack Evasive Footwork, Riposte, Trip Attack, MenacingAttack
Feats: Heavy Armor Master(DR3 vs non magic weapons), ShieldMaster(attack action allows bonus action to shove target 5 feet, may addshields AC bonus to single target DEX saves, May use reaction to take half orno damage from area effect DEX based damage) Martial Adept ( 2 known maneuvers, 1 additional superiority die)
Carnelian scarab (+2 on all poison saves) 12 pinches dust ofappearance
Actions
Battle-axe +1 Melee Weapon Attack: +8 tohit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d8 + 5) slashing damage, or (1d10 +5) slashing damage if used with two hands.
HeavyCrossbow. RangedWeapon Attack: +4 tohit, range 100/400 ft., one target. Hit: (1d10+1) piercing damage.

Here is his liege lord and companion, Burne, his most worshipful mage of Hommlet:

Burne “His MostWorshipful Mage of Hommlet” (Wiz 8)
Medium humanoid Lawful Good
Armor Class 15 (Ring of Protection +2)
Hit Points 52 (8d6+ 16)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10(+0) 16 (+3) 15 (+2) 18(+4) 15 (+2) 12 (+1)
Skills Arcana +7Investigation +7, Perception +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages Common ,Elvish
Challenge 4 (1100 XP)
Arcane Recovery: 4 spell levels in spell slots
Arcane Tradition: Abjuration-Abjuration Savant, ArcaneWard (20 points) Projected Ward (20 points)
Feats: Elemental Adept (Fire), Spell Sniper#(double range, ignore half & three quarters cover)
Spell Casting: DC 15 AM +7 4 (1st) 3 (2nd) 3 (3rd) 2 (4th)
Cantrips Known: Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, Light, Blade Ward
Spells Prepared: 1st- Mage Armor* Shield* Charm Person (2nd) Blur,Hold Person, Mirror Image (3rd)Protection from Energy*, Fireball,Dispel Magic* (4th) Stoneskin*, Evards Black Tentacles, GreaterInvisibility
Wand of Magic Missiles, Chime of Opening
Spell Book: (All in addition to those prepared)(1st)Alarm, Protection from Evil, DetectMagic, Burning Hands, Feather Fall, Jump, Comprehend Languages, Identify, MagicMissile, Sleep, Thunderwave, (2nd) Arcane Lock, Darkness,Levitate, See Invisibility, Invisibility, Hold Person, Ray of Enfeeblement,Suggestion, Web (3rd)Counterspell, Glyph of Warding, MagicCircle, Non-detection, Remove Curse, Bestow Curse, Fly, Major Image, Tongues,Lightning Bolt, Haste, Stinking Cloud (4th)Banishment,Mordenkainens Private Sanctum, Otilukes Resilient Sphere, Confusion, Wall ofFire, Fire Shield,
Actions
Fire Bolt- ranged attack 120ft. +7 to hit, Hit: 2d10 fire damage
Ray of Frost- ranged attack 60ft. +7 to hit, Hit: 2d8 cold damage and speed is reduced by 10 feet until startof your next turn
Eldrich Blast# ranged attack 120ft. +4 to hit 1d10 force damage (may shoot 2 beams)
Dagger+1 melee weapon attack+7 to hit reach 5 ft. Hit: 1d4+4 piercing damage

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I'm running a conversion of Ruins of Undermountain. I'm mostly just swapping out monsters for their 5e versions, and it's going very well.

Those modules were a bit more dangerous anyway, so if something is a bit too powerful, the players quickly adapt.

For traps and things, I'm just running them by the book and giving them attack bonuses that make sense based on the math above.

I'm also mostly making turns equal an hour instead of ten minutes. It's lowering the number of random encounters and things, but it's easier to keep track of. And a short rest is only 1 turn instead of 6.

Thaumaturge.

redrick

First Post
I've been running B2 Keep on the Borderlands in 5e. It hasn't been a stunning success, but a lot of that is as much due to my own lack of experience as with adapting the module. Pretty much every creature in the Caves of Chaos exists in either the basic rules or the HotDQ supplement, so swapping out stat blocks has been a piece of cake. As written, most of the encounters run moderate-deadly for a low-level party of 4, which makes sense, since these adventures were meant for larger parties. I make the encounter groups a little smaller as I go.

Running the first area (goblin/hobgoblin complex) straight off the module drained their daily resources pretty quickly, but I've also been impressed with the overall resilience of the 5e party. They get knocked out all the time, but they've managed to come out of significantly above-level fights without any fatalities.

I also started with a "loot as xp" house rule, with monster xp cut drastically. My hope was it would encourage the sort of treasure hunt, don't get into fights that you don't have to, mentality. That didn't really work with my group, though. They managed to fight every non-treasure-guarding monster in the complex, and it was very slow going with little reward. So I've capitulated. Next time I try that I'll need to do a better job at getting the buy-in from the players and also make sure they have at least an inkling of an idea of how to get "the loot."

I successfully run Night of the Walking Dead using my own notes and some conversion notes from [MENTION=6701422]Plaguescarred[/MENTION]. Very easy to do. At least easier than in the previous two iterations.

Remove ads