• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DMing Help

Shiroiken

Legend
So for instance say 1 CR 5 monster should be a challenge for three ro five level 5 party members? I would think that would be rather easy for a party.
It is, but you're better off using the guidelines starting out. The guidelines are meant for an "easy" game, where the players should win almost every time. However, until you have experience as a DM, you can very easily create an impossible encounter, causing a TPK (Total Party Kill). Once you get some experience, you can start pushing the boundaries, making encounters that are more challenging.

Good Luck!

irwindyl

Villager
It would indeed be an easy fight, taking about 15% of the ressources the party has if you are lucky on dice rolls for the monster. Typically, a group can go through about 6 or 7 of those without taking a long rest. For 3 PCs it will be a challenge, but for a standard 5e party with standard ressources it'll be over in 2 or 3 rounds. I am more fond of groups of 3 or 4 monsters from 1 or 2 ratings lower, or solo monsters about 1 or 2 ratings higher (just be careful when that puts the monster a tier higher, as they get a spike in power between 4-5, 8-9 and so on.)

PnPgamer

Explorer
Whenever your players catch you off guard, try to do more like "yes, however..." rather than a straight up no. I tend to do latter and i feel bad arfterwards of baiscly ruining their fun. Also i cant write.

Last edited:

Sezarious

Explorer
Firstly:

- http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/

This is a fabulous entire world random hex map generator. It's all adjustable including the amount of water and ice on it (each being adjustable). You need patience with this map generator however, it takes awhile to render a new map.

Anyway, as a DM, I will generate a rough world map initially that I like. I then cut out a particular region that my NPC's will run around in initially. On this original, I place each town known via general knowledge by all the PC's I then go about making several copies of that region in a folder, scribbling on each; one where I draw all the local trade routes and roads, one where I indicate all locations of magical significance, one where I reveal where uncommon towns and or tribes are living, one that reveals the location of major resources, one that reveals faction borders etc. When I place big cities, I try to make sure they're situated near a water source as well as a source of iron for their tools and armies.

When I place unknown towns, I place them in locations of isolation if I want them to be potentially under threat.

Don't worry about being overwhelmed with all of that because I'm actually sort of waffling on. All I'm really saying is, try to be logical and chronological in creating your world and placing your cities etc. I recommend you start by generating the basic map, then one on resources, then one on towns, then borders etc.

When you see a living world, where placement of everything has a reason, naturally you will see where issues can arise, territories may clash, resources may be difficult to acquire or tribes might appear vulnerable as I mentioned. A world that then naturally generates it's own conflict can then be fun because sometimes player interaction can have positive or negative butterfly effects throughout it.

A final thing I'll mention is that a player who has a specific knowledge might gain access to a specific map, bonus information such as knowing all the trade routes could be handy.

strider13x

First Post
Learn to include the players ideas. Saying "no" can take away from their fun. Example: the party is looking for info on the big bad guy and the Rogue wants to ask her underground connections and the Wizard wants to research at the Library, but you haven't "prepped" a thieves guild or library! Include the players ideas by having them roll an appropriate ability check and give info based on how high they roll. Make a NPC on the spot (random name generator in the DM screen) that gives them info another NPC was gonna give them (i.e. you prepped for the barmaid to tell them about the bad guy, but now the Wizard found same info in a dusty book). Makes the players feel validated in their choices.
Also, think about monster motivations, not everything has to fight to the death. They might try to flee or even try talking their way out of a fight.
Remember everyone is there to have fun and you are the host of the party! Enjoy!

SunGold

First Post
Here's another great map generator. And if you want some dungeon maps to jump right in, One Page Dungeon has a ton of good ones that could easily be dropped into a first session.

On a more general note, I'm gonna throw out a couple episodes of a favorite podcast, Gamerstable: Transitioning from Player to GM and n00b GMs.

Finally, although the DMG covers a lot of the same ground, the 2nd edition Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide is still full of solid, edition-neutral GMing advice.

Have fun storming the castle! :)

Psikerlord#

Explorer
http://donjon.bin.sh/ Seriously, explore this site, there are random generators galore.

Donjon is the most awesome support site for DMs that I have found, and I've been looking for a long time. Random dungeons, random NPC names and descriptions, random pick pocket loot, random secret door descriptions. It just goes on and on. Have a browser open when you DM and you'll never lack for ideas.

For encounters advice, my tip is, total up the deadly XP budget for your party - then bear in mind your party's particular mix of capabilities - then go above that xp number for harder fights, and below it for easier fights. "CR" as such is pretty useless at best, and misleading at worst (hello CR 5 Banshee)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads