D&D 5E DMing "Out of the Abyss"

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
What's this I read on pg 122? The duergar are devilish and wrecked the iron tabernacle? That doesn't really jibe with the description of them on pg 56. Seems like they would abhor the waste of wanton destruction. I guess I'll skip over that detail...

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
What's this I read on pg 122? The duergar are devilish and wrecked the iron tabernacle? That doesn't really jibe with the description of them on pg 56. Seems like they would abhor the waste of wanton destruction. I guess I'll skip over that detail...

You have to keep in mind that this story has a lot of growing madness within it. As such the Duergar are being affected as well. I think their capital is being influenced by Demogorgon. This is what I imagine accounts for the wanton destruction and other unusual behavior the book will portrait varying people doing. Madness is all around you, and slowly growing. HOW WILL YOU SURVIVE!?

Motorskills

Explorer
Thanks for input so far.

What do you guys think of a thread with mini-adventures to add to OotA?

*** SPOILER BELOW **** (how do you do spoiler tags on these forums?)

And what about that sentient Sun Sword? I thought 5e was the "stingy on magic" edition! Looks like one PC gets an insanely powerful weapon and everybody else gets...potions and scrolls. (Well, maybe some drow weapons, which I guess are good for a while.)

I would consider modifying it to have it scale in power with its owner. From +1 to +3, with bonus damage likewise scaling.

I'm honestly disappointed that this sword isn't a major baddie, having been driven insane after millenia locked away in the dark, with only undead to keep it company... :)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
You have to keep in mind that this story has a lot of growing madness within it. As such the Duergar are being affected as well. I think their capital is being influenced by Demogorgon. This is what I imagine accounts for the wanton destruction and other unusual behavior the book will portrait varying people doing. Madness is all around you, and slowly growing. HOW WILL YOU SURVIVE!?

I'm not so sure. The destruction was done a long time ago before the emergence of the demons. I think it's just a continuity error.

CapnZapp

Legend
I created this cheat sheet for my game this weekend. Thought I would post in case others found it useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14F3QaNMh60AxGgJ-EXV95mJ8bp-UHmpA8gVDuxTq8Vg/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks!

Suggestion: add the DMG rules for going without food and drink to the spreadsheet?

Also: since foraging is an active check, change the bonus you have currently chosen for improved foraging (+5), which is commonly associated with passive checks, to "advantage", which is the game's standard bonus for active checks?

Last edited:

Remove ads