• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs: Do you use the Inherent bonuses option?

Do you use the Inherent Bonuses option?

• Yes! Wouldn't go back to doing it any other way.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Have done, in some campaigns.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • No, haven't tried it yet.

Votes: 26 38.2%
  • Never! Sounds like a terrible idea.

Votes: 5 7.4%

InspectorHound

First Post
If your campaign is a gritty, low-magic setting, it's absolutely perfect. I have a long-running Warhammer Fantasy campaign that we're switching over to 4e, and it's a great fit. Especially 'cause I was extremely stingy with the magic items when we were using WFRP 1e and 2e, so with Inherent Bonuses, I don't need to add new magic items to the mix just to support the system translation.

Even for our more traditional campaigns, I like the system 'cause it supports treating the magic items that you >do< find as meaningful character/story hooks. I don't personally like the callous way that I, as a player, am incented to huck my old weapon/armor for something new, just 'cause the + bonus is higher. It feels way to much like a video game that way. I want my character to be attached to his gear and have it improve with him as he levels up. Inherent Bonuses supports that philosophy.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Yes, I have used inherent enhancement bonuses. I use them in conjunction with magic items. I love them - now I no longer have to worry about making sure every PC has a magic weapon they can use. Sure, a magic weapon gives various other benefits aside from the bonus attack and damage, but at the very least inherent bonus users don't fall too far behind their magic weapon using allies.

Zaran

Adventurer
I like passing out new items. I don't think the game would be the same without magical weapons and armor and that stuff just isn't very cool without enchancements. I won't say I will never use the system though. If I do , I will have a way for the magic items they do find to be pretty dang fantastic.

ourchair

First Post
I'm running about 3-4 sessions worth of Dark Sun every two months, and I'm going to be implementing this rule as soon as my players hit the level for their first +1.

I enjoy giving out treasure, but I feel like it's too much effort to track who has what pluses. It's a kind of silly impediment, so I definitely plan to use it in future non-Dark Sun campaigns, where yes, I can give as much treasure as I want or don't want to, and not have to worry about who is or isn't behind in their attacks and defenses.

Remove ads