D&D General DMs Guild and DriveThruRPG ban AI written works, requires labels for AI generated art

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
From Ennies nominee Linda Condega and Gizmodo:

Gizmodo said:
Dungeon Masters Guild, a subsidiary of OneBookShelf and the largest digital third-party Dungeons & Dragons marketplace, officially announced a policy change that would restrict the sale of “standalone” AI-generated products. Additionally, it is enacting a “Creation Method Filter” which requires sellers to indicate if any part of their “game, rulebook, or adventure contains AI-generated content.”

The most recent update to the policies says that the DriveThru Marketplaces (which includes Dungeon Masters Guild) will “not accept standalone artwork products that utilize AI-generated art. This includes stock art, token packs, maps, portraits, miniatures, etc.” Additionally, “AI-generated art is permitted for use in rulebooks and adventures, but it must be tagged as such.”

While AI-generated art may be allowable, another update states that starting on July 31, any content that is made of “primarily” of AI-generated writing will not be allowed. “We acknowledge enforcement challenges,” says the policy page on both DMsGuild and Roll20, “and trust in the goodwill of our partners to offer customers unique works based primarily on human creativity”

I understand the temptation to use AI generated art -- finding and connecting with professional artists can be challenging -- but I wish they'd gone further in their restrictions on it.

Reynard

Legend

I understand the temptation to use AI generated art -- finding and connecting with professional artists can be challenging -- but I wish they'd gone further in their restrictions on it.
I understand the ethical issues involved in using AI art that was trained on scraped images without permission, but I also understand the value of being able to create the images you want for your project. Blocking all AI art has the effect of increasing the barrier to entry for people who can't afford to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to commission professional custom art.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I understand the ethical issues involved in using AI art that was trained on scraped images without permission, but I also understand the value of being able to create the images you want for your project. Blocking all AI art has the effect of increasing the barrier to entry for people who can't afford to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to commission professional custom art.
Those people can use the free art put on the website for their use, including by WotC, or buy the collections of stock art available there for that purchase, none of which costs more than a few bucks.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Blocking all AI art has the effect of increasing the barrier to entry for people who can't afford to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to commission professional custom art.
I disagree. People can do what we all did before AI art. In fact, the available affordable art now is miles beyond what it was when I started publishing 20 some odd years ago. There's public domain, and thousands of really high quality stock art available now. You can probably tell, but my opinion is that someone saying banning AI art will prevent them from publishers is making a weak excuse.

Sacrosanct

Legend

They've had the policy of enforcing you label it as such for a while. It appears banning stand alone art is a new thing though. And thank goodness. It was getting so flooded with AI stock art that it was hard to sort through to the real art.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
🤷‍♀️ you want art, learn to make it or pay an artist. Or use the art that artists have offered for free.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
personal preference. Allow all AI generated products but force them to an AI generated products section. Possibly with the exception of works human created but using ai art. Better yet… give that a category as well!

Vaalingrade

Legend
On the other hand, it blocks people who won't pay to commission art because they can get a robot thief to take it from the people they'd otherwise be paying.

Remove ads