D&D 5E DM's Guild: The Advice You Didn't Ask For

Do people not do previews anymore? As a consumer, I at least want the flash preview option so I have an idea as to what I'm paying for. As a publisher, I think it's the least you should do.

Yeah I certainly would buy anything without a preview from an unknown source. Some products tho, with incorrect capitalisation AND punctuation in the TITLE, are easily disregarded!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
well I did the best I could. I posted my first attempt...it's basically formatted like a college report not like a professional layed out PDF and has 0 art in it, but I'm trying.

if any of you think that my next attempt should be done better let me know... (I hope a lot of people like Robocop and say "I';d buy that for a dollar..."

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171070/Martial-Options?term=Martial+optio&filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0

From the marketing text:
"A great new set of options for mostly non casters. This includes 3 new 5 level prestige classes and 15 new manuvers for the Battle Master sub class of fighter"

Better version:
"Explore a new collection of options for martial characters! Martial Options presents 15 additional maneuvers for the Battle Master and three 5-level prestige classes."

Cheers!

From the marketing text:
"A great new set of options for mostly non casters. This includes 3 new 5 level prestige classes and 15 new manuvers for the Battle Master sub class of fighter"

Better version:
"Explore a new collection of options for martial characters! Martial Options presents 15 additional maneuvers for the Battle Master and three 5-level prestige classes."

Cheers!

well thank you very much Merric... I have updated it.

I have so far sold 4 of these... witch gives me $2, and would cost me $2 to cash out...so Unless you are WAY better then me, I would not count on getting rich doing this...

But thanks everyone that has or will help with this little experiment, next week I will come back and let you know how it is going...

Morlock

Banned
Banned
I think the term "grammar nazi" has the opposite of the effect intended. It makes the Nazis sound good.

Valve isn't going to vet any of these. They found a way to make 10% of the sales, of enthusaistic fan content, with ZERO labor on their part. It's pretty ingenius.
FIFY.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
And make sure you know how to use an apostrophe. No, an apostrophe is not for plural nouns. No, "it's" is not the possessive form of "it"; it's a contraction of "it is".

If you use the word "rouge" instead of "rogue" there are a large number of us who will petition WotC to ban you from the Guild for life.

Learn the difference between "parley" and "parlay", something WotC took a few years to learn. And on a related note, make sure you never have a "see page xx" in your work.

BoldItalic

First Post
From the marketing text:

Better version:

Cheers!
How do people feel about British authors using British spellings? If I had written, for example,

... fifteen new manœuvres ...

would it jar on you, or would you think it was "kinda quaint"?

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
I tell you what, getting everything to fit nicely into two columns on a page is not as easy as I thought it would be.

I am slightly more confident than I would have been otherwise, thanks to some of the recommendations I've read in this thread.

Thanks, everyone.

GHammy26

Explorer
I'm pretty sure that's $2 per withdrawal, not per sale.

So let's say you write some pamphlets, priced at $1 each. You manage to sell a total of 500 of them over a period of time. That's $500 in sales, $250 of which go into your DM's Guild account. Then, when you want OBS to put that money in your actual Paypal account, that costs $2, so you only get $248.

granted, but the funds are only held for 40 days. I think you're overestimating how many people will buy pamphlets.

Say I did put $1 per pamphlet and 15-20 people buy it in the 40day time frame, that's $15-20 which is barely worth the time I've put into my work as 60+% is being taken from me... I'm still going to put it up as the only way to make a name for yourself is start small and grow but the pay system is still a bit crap...

Remove ads