• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's what kinds of monster features 'annoy' you or make your job harder?

kenobi65

First Post
Incorporeality. 50% miss chance is a fun killer. I cannot even tell you how many times I've DMed, or played in, this fight:

"I hit!"

"Maybe. Roll the miss chance."

"Low is good". :roll: "51. Dammit!"

It takes a process that is already arguably too random (combat, especially at low levels) and adds *another* level of randomness. I've seen too many combats against a shadow that last 10+ rounds, and just serve to piss off the players.

Remathilis

Legend
Spellcasting monsters or Spell Like Abilities.

AKA

Lets have the DM look through TWO different books at the same time.

If the SLA is important, give me the gist of it. Heck, give me the PAGE NUMBER! If its not, dumpster it.

Beyond that, any creature which is a glass cannon (medusa, bodak, etc) really is annoying.

Drowbane

First Post
I have hatred for SR. In my planescape party there are no less than three PCs with a single level in Marshal for the "Dedicated Spellcaster aura" (or whatever its called)... +Cha Mod to beat SR (no, they don't stack... but we're not always grouped close enough for just one guy to use it). Very nice.

VirgilCaine said:
I, uh, guess you failed to note the slight advantage of the Long range on Fireball, huh?

Not to mention having fireballs on those rounds when the dragon is trying to catch its breath :p

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Another vote for Level Drain - of late I have been using the system from Spycraft, where you get a save after every adventure to regain the lost level, making it temporary, even without Restoration.

The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads