• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs! Who are YOUR composers?

Pbartender

First Post
I know a lot of people like background music, atmospheric effects, etc. but I have never found them that useful and more often than not distracting. I would prefer silence other than the actual game play. My very vocal cat included.

Well, so do I, to be honest, but...

I very often look at my games and adventures from the view point of, "if this were a fantasy action-adventure blockbuster movie." In that sense, when I'm DMing, while I don't actually have music playing, I've still got tunes running through the back of my mind like a soundtrack... It helps keep me in the proper mood for what ever scene I'm describing.

So, just change the question... If your campaign were a movie (or miniseries, or television series) with an unlimited budget, who would be doing the nmusic for the soundtrack?

Arnwyn

First Post
The question is simple, if you had unlimited resources to make your campaign great, and you set out to pick out two composers to write background music for the campaign, who would you pick?

Keep in mind, this is not necessarily who you already use, but who you would use if they composed the music specially for you.
Our Fantasy games:
Hitoshi Sakimoto and Yasunori Mitsuda.

Sci-Fi games:
Yoko Kanno and John Williams.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
James Horner (Krull!) and Basil Poledouris (Conan!) :) Specifically, Horner for battle scenes and anything regarding magic, Poledouris for travel, social interaction, and 'title' sequences.

I'm going to have to go to with Hans Zimmer myself, at least for one of my choices. My second choice would depend on the tone of the campaign, but ranges from John Williams to James Horner to Basil Poledouris.

Ander00

First Post
My first choice would probably be Jeremy Soule. Granted, not everything by him is great, but the Morrowind title for example I just find endlessly evocative. It makes me want to pick up a longsword and go out exploring the world, cliff racers be damned.

The second choice would likely depend on the type of campaign, with potential candidates including Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, or if that'd work, the team from WarCraft III/World of WarCraft.

cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads