• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD 3.5 - Valley of the Dead

Myth and Legend

First Post
Hi Monkey! Longe time no see! Also DACE SMASH! Heh. I really enjoyed that short lived escape from thayvian prison game.

PM
Shayuri thanks so much! I'll take a look at t hose. I never got over my contempt for Pathfinder. I will always view it as glorified homebrew that attempted to fix 3.5 by mostly doing the wrong things to the right classes.

That hacker thing is bad mojo. It's silly - why would someone destroy an RpG and PbP site? *shakes head*

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Hey, just saw you had posted. Long time no see! Are you re-starting - continuing this game? And seeing your comment on P- - hf - - - r (letters removed to prevent getting your ire up) I will not even mention that system.

Scott *news of my untimely demise is slightly exaggerated* DeWar

ps: thanks again for the fast healing - 10

Myth and Legend

First Post
Hey, just saw you had posted. Long time no see! Are you re-starting - continuing this game? And seeing your comment on P- - hf - - - r (letters removed to prevent getting your ire up) I will not even mention that system.

Scott *news of my untimely demise is slightly exaggerated* DeWar

ps: thanks again for the fast healing - 10

Hi Scott! Thanks for the warm welcome and sorry for not replying to your messages. You have always been the most concerned with my well being here.

Also, it wa sa full Heal :D

Scotley

Hero
Hi M and L, good to see you back. Life's been good. I'm a bit of a victim of my own success. I joined a startup about 6 years ago and we've been very successful, so now I don't have nearly as much time for EN World as I once did. I'm still around, but not very active.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Hi Scott! Thanks for the warm welcome and sorry for not replying to your messages. You have always been the most concerned with my well being here.

Also, it was a full Heal :D

so, are you starting back up?

Scott *victum recipiant of a heal and glad to not be undead* DeWar

Shayuri

First Post
Sadly, I don't know any of the details behind the hack, or what motivated it. There was a kickstarter, a successful one, to fund the site's renewal though, and while a dice roller remains elusive, most of the lost functions have returned.

I find I quite like Pathfinder, mostly because I like what they did with the classes. :)

It's all good though. The main draw of Pathfinder I feel is the huge amount of quality content released for it. The rules adjustments, with some exceptions, are minor compared to that.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Hey guys :) I'm back but I don't want to disappoint, so I am reluctant to resume the mantle of a DM. If I do so, I will be handling the story, NPC concepts and perhaps NPC builds as a general rule, but I will want a technical co-DM to handle combat, grids, bookkeeping for NPCs and help with WBL management. It's a thankless job and I don't expect anyone to do it, so... :D

Zerith

First Post
Sounds like you want to do a pure text RP, Have not been in one in years, but takes more trust to do.
Works best when it is done something like

Laughing madly, Zinerath spun around and drove his scythe towards the Goblin's Neck.

You can add a lot of favor text to that, of cores, but the jest is you do a intended action. Works well in PvP and PvE(assuming nether Character is OP and all the players are alight with their characters getting hurt of cores)
It works worst when someone simply says X happens

Zinerath Lops off the Goblin's head.
Boring for everyone
It also invites things like this from the DM

The Ogre sends a Cushing fist into [the gnome mage]'s chest.
Might as well say the ogre kills the mage out right, so yeah, Pure text RP requires more trust then an RPG to do.

In the first case the DM, or Player, can affectively say the goblin dodges with ease from the over eager and telegraphed strike, narrowly dodges the brunt of the swift attack while losing the top of its ear, or just gets beheaded. and if the latter happens, it is sweeter it, the goblin, could have done just about anything really, but, this onetime, it went as planed.(As I think you can all tell, I like option 2 best) That said mindless combat can only go so far, even more so in pure text Role Play than in PbP RPGs
And it perverts the dice form controlling the game rather then contributing to it.(I was DM when a CR 1 street thug was dodging the, level 4 PCs for rounds... it was funny, to me... AC:15 too high for +9 to hit :p)

It also lets players have PCs of radically different power levels without having things be 'unfair'. I played the familiar to a mage one RP, that was just fun. Needless to say, my little drake was much less powerful, over all, than the rest of the party. You can get away with player options that are much more 'extreme' without ill affect from it, as long as you're willing trust the player in question to not abuse said trust (instead of letting someone do a hill giant and either nerfing their level or having them be way ahead of all the other PCs by stats.

... Now I want to do a pure text RP :/

Last edited:

Remove ads