D&D 5E Dnd 5e, but everything is a “spell”

This would be like everyone using ki (by other names). Nothing wrong with that in principle, although making the numbers work for some abilities would be tricky, as I think you've already cottoned onto.

I like the idea of pools vs X times per day. As a purely mechanical idea, you could have some powers cost a certain number of points while also reducing the maximum of the pool by a certain amount. It might not matter for one encounter but it does set a limit on the number of times you can use your certain abilities per day.

I've been playing around with this idea for a system I'm working on. I wanted a way to prevent just using your best abilities. It also gives an easy way shut down magic that would break the world if used indefinitely.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I feel like Action Surge is too 'Wizard' for those folks.
And yet, overall, it is their position that has won out, not the more open-minded one. I saw the vitriol from wizard fans for the proposed Spell Versatility feature for Sorcerers. Anything that threatens the Wizard's toys is bad. Anything that benefits the Wizard at the cost to other classes is merely an unfortunate necessity.

Xeviat

Hero
Yes! Yes you could.

The spell point system in the DMG, when divided by 3 for short rests per long rest, is kinda close to 2/level if you squint.

Half casters can then be 1/level.

Oh look, the monk is already 1/level. Adapting them to a power system was a project of mine before Level Up was announced.

it does look like a lot of work... maybe as someone suggested, I should look at a system that already does that, instead of completely reworing 5e

@Rabbitbait suggested Numenera, I actually own the first edition and a few scenarios. Maybe I'll give it a shot

Remove ads