• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnD 5e War Rules Help

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
You could adapt something from another system, as above, or hack something for yourself. If you treated units like single creatures, stat block wise, you might be able to keep things manageable. It really depends on the size of the battles you are thinking about. Really huge battle escape even the rules sets for most table top wargames.

As far as the stat block goes, I'd base it on the individual member for AC, and then scale HP, attacks and damage for size. You could have a basic unit of exchange, like 100 = 1. Lets say we use 1/25 size to scale HP and attacks, then you get something like this:

Single Archer - AC 14, 10 HP, 1 attack +2 TH +2 TD

200 Archers then = 2 'units' of AC 14, 4 attacks each at +2/+2, 80 HP whoops, 40 HP each

The HP total gives you enough durability to not have things disintegrate too fast, while not being unmanageable. You'd need a morale rule as well. I'd recommend a tiered quality metric, which you'd have to assign. So, levy, militia, trained, veteran, elite. Set morale DCs based on that at 8/10/12/15/18 and decide on some mods. So 25% damage in a single turn -1, 50% -2, outnumbered -1/additional enemy but +1 per quality tier, and so on.

Anything over a certain HP or HD total could be run as itself.

Edit - you.d want to scale the 1/100 part by size as well, so large and bigger creatures would be different, say large = 1/10, huge = 1/5, something like that. You'll have to play around with the numbers to get the fit you want.

Last edited:

Do any rules or sources thereof that you might recommend.
No, because I never have liked any of them. Some make the PCs just another figure on the board, others make the PCs have so much power they are individually defeating hundreds or thousands of opponents.

Here's what I know of;
The question I think that is important is; Are the armies a game unto themselves, or are the armies and battles scenes to frame the characters actions?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I have not. What does it entail?
There's a simplified combat system that has a unit's size be a polyhedral die with some impact for PCs. Units are pretty abstract. I used two small units to represent the crew of a ship that my original campaign's PCs controlled, and a few others to represent the militia.

The actual war rules were released via an OGL of sorts, but I have no idea where to find it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads