WotC DND Beyond AI DM

Oofta

Legend
AIs are good at some things. Want to plagiarize existing essays while changing them just enough that it's difficult to determine they were plagiarized? AI can do it! Actually think and respond? Nope. It's not how it works.

AIs can be convincing in narrow bands and can emulate human thought and creativity but they're just parroting actual thought and creativity. With a big enough sample set and narrow enough focus AIs can analyze patterns and recombine the data input. But there is no intelligence behind it in the way we think of intelligence.

AI can be an aid, an assistant to the creative process. There no nothing new under the sun after all, every adventure I've ever written is based on some combination of a handful of concepts. What would be incredibly difficult to do would be to respond logically to PC's actions when they think outside the box as they seem to do every 15 minutes in my games. Or maybe they're just in a different box and I have to decide whether to use their box or continue with mine. It often depends on whether or not their ideas are more fun. An AI can never make that kind of decision, can never get a read on how people are responding and what they're enjoying. An AI that helped me construct specific bits? Maybe helped with running monsters based on broad parameters I provide? There's a lot of options there. But truly replace a DM? I don't see it happening before the 100th anniversary of D&D.

In other words, AI can take a bunch of photos and recreate people's faces but it doesn't really know what it's doing so you end up with stuff that would make Picasso proud:
image (1).jpg

Greggy C

Hero
It's a pretty smart idea, and Microsoft has a history of working with ChatGBT, so they may well understand the full potential.
Right now, ChatGBT can pull from the entire internet and respond like a 13-year-old.
So if you are ok with a child DM, it is pretty close to that.

But if you pump into ChatGBT a lot of context-specific information, do's and don'ts, then an adventure can get better and better.
Especially a "prepared adventure".

Also, ChatGBT is getting smarter and smarter.
So yeah, it won't be long before it is a better DM than 80% of Reddit. :)

And while people who haven't used it much think it is just a parrot, it is much more than that.
I've had a long conversation with it, drilling down on ideas, and there was a point it came up with an idea I had never heard of before, and I was like "damn, that is a fracking good idea. ok scary".

Remove ads