WotC DND Beyond AI DM

Undrave

Legend
As with many things floating around lately, I'll believe it when I see it.
I bet this is just a think an executive floated in a meeting because of recent AI buzz "Why don't we make a DM that use them AI thingies?"

I question if WOTC has the expertise or man power to develop such a thing. I also gotta question where the heck they would find the material needed to train that AI? Most DMing is done orally and aren't recorded.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I bet this is just a think an executive floated in a meeting because of recent AI buzz "Why don't we make a DM that se them AI thingies?"

I question if WOTC has the expertise or man power to develop such a thing. I also gotta question where the heck they would find the material needed to train that AI? Most DMing is done orally and aren't recorded.
Im guessing they are using the term A.I. loosely here. Likely a more advanced version of the never winter nights game from the late 90's.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I agree. I also imagine super casual players won't care that it can't really provide much more freedom than a typical CRPG. But that would work pretty well for most WotC campaign adventures anyway.

Are "super casual players" going to pony up $30 per month to play a game they are so casual about, though?

$30/month for a not quite MMORPG? Is Wizbro’s leadership nuts?!

I don't think we need to lean into mental illness to explain the idea - simple lack of understanding is sufficient.

Stormonu

Legend
I’ve used several apps that act as a DM for several years, for games like Imperial Assault, Descent, Warhammer Quest and the like. While it’s been limited, when you’re the perpetual DM sometimes its the only way to get be a player.

I wouldn’t be against an AI DM for D&D, but I wouldn’t be willing to pay in the neighborhood of $30 per month, even with other Beyond features. Honestly, if this is more than about $15 per month (and even that’s steep), I wouldn’t pay.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases