• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD Boiling Point: Here's What I Did

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Suggestion #1: switch game systems. Whether you like the new system more or less than d20, youll be happier for trying something new.

Suggestion #2: in order to make people interested in your campaign's backstory, make it intrinsic to your adventures. Screw those generic adventures; tie your plots directly into your campaign history, and people will want as much information as they can possibly get their hands on.

Sagiro did this marvelously in his game. He also gave us too *little* information for more than a year, until we were clamoring for more, on the basis that the history and knowledge was too dangerous for our PCs to possess. (He happened to be correct.) It made us all into information and campaign history junkies, and to this day eight years into the campaign information is still a more precious treasure than gold or magic items.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'll also add this:

Make a one-page document. ONE PAGE. Have it detail the MOST BASIC things about what's going on, about WHAT kind of tone and feel you are going for in this game. Make a list of the specific sources or races and classes you accept.

Then, talk to them about it. With only three players, you have plenty of time and leeway to discuss what you want out of the game. They will have a chance to tell you what THEY want out of the game. I could be wrong, but it sounds as if you really haven't sat down and TALKED to them about the game itself. Just have a bull session about the game, what you would like out of it, and what THEY would like out of it.

If all they want is to kill things and take stuff, great - work it in. If what you want is a kind of "look and feel," then let them know it. There's usually a common ground, but it requires EVERYBODY giving a little to get there.

It may be that another system (like Pinnacle Entertainment's Savage Worlds) is more to your liking. If so, you STILL need to adress the problems in the group, but nothing is going to change.

I still re-emphasize my disdain for reams of handouts - nothing turns a player off like ten pages of dry text. Introduce it a bit at the time, like Star Wars did in the first movie, and make the events dependant on background, just like in Piratecat's example.

Erratic K

First Post
I have three suggestions:

1) Let somebody else DM. In fact make all of them DM. Maybe they need a little appreciation for what it takes to DM. This will also let you see their side as a player. You can arrange this with one shot sessions easiest.

2) Read Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering. It can help you identify player types and how to satisfy their key element as a player. This can lead to (hopefully) the players being satisfied with the game, and you satisfied about their actions in your campaign world.

3) Run a different system (or run a different setting). I appreciate your enthusiasm for your home game, but don't let your players spoil it for you.

-E

dreaded_beast

First Post
I have been in similar situations, not as DM, but being a player in a game that I did not enjoy, for various reasons: player personality conflicts, different playing styles, etc.

I understand the hardwork you put into creating a homebrew campaign as well as being a DM. However, in my opinion and as a player, I don't think it is ever a good idea to "force" players to play the type of game you want to play.

That being said, from your post, it doesn't sound like you do that at all and you sacrifice your own enjoyment to make sure the players have their fun, which is admirable but unfortunate for yourself.

In my opinion, it seems that this all stems from a difference in playing "styles" between you and your players. I don't believe there is a "correct" way to play DND, but I understand the frustration of playing with a group that has different playing styles or goals for the campaign.

I've recently left the group I was with and have felt refreshed and renewed in regards to DND. That may be difficult for you, since you mentioned being unable to find other players, so maybe if you have a good relationship with your players, you can take the route I was unable to and actual talk with them about your problems.

In my opinion, I don't think there is anything wrong with how your players want to play or with the type of campaign you want to run. It's all about having fun. Hopefully, you can either come to a comprimise with your players, or find another group that wants to play the kind of game you want to play.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Crothian said:
Sounds more like you need new people to game with.
I concur. Sometimes what you want may not be what your group want. Trust me, you're not alone in this.

You can try to compromise, but if you don't feel comfortable with that, then you're going to need find a group that IS interested in your campaign. But that's how it is, with the dynamics of DM/Player group relationship.

Just try to remember the simple rules: it is a game, and everyone is supposed to have fun.

FireLance

Legend
Perhaps you should look at it from the other perspective: what do you want out of gaming. As a DM, I'm a bit of a story-teller and a bit of a world-builder, but mostly a tactician and riddler. I run a game for a group of players who mostly want to beat things up and take their treasure.

So, I keep my story and world building in the background, satisfy my tactical interest by having my mosters use good tactics in fights and encouraging the same from the PCs, and throw in the odd riddle or puzzle (but have a big fight waiting if they can't solve it). The players don't need to know more than what their sponsor wants them to do. All the politics, plots and scheming take place only in my head, but it's all there if the PCs ever want to know.

Of course, it helps that my players and I are all good friends, so even if I'm running a mostly hack and slash game, it's fun because it's a hack and slash game with them.

In short, my advice is:

1. Think about what you want from gaming, and see if you can still get some of that from your current group.

2. Game with friends.

DrZombie

First Post
Life is too short to let little people with little minds ruin your fun. DUMP THE D1CKHE@D, you'll feel alot better. If the other players winge, dump 'em as well. Make new friends, look for gamers. If you can't find 'em, raise a family and wait untill your children are six years old, the game with 'em.:D

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I hate to say it but it seems like you aren't playing to your audience. I'd take your side in a second if it were only one problem player but as your entire group seems to want to play a High Magic/High Fantasy game and you are the only one wanting to play a Low Magic/Low Fantasy game I'm forced to side with them. Nobody likes to be forced into a game setting that they don't honestly want to play in. If they are clamoring to play in Forgotten Realms, Everquest, Greyhawk, or whatever and you as a DM aren't providing it then the problem lies with you. You could tell them to deal with it and just play but then you may find yourself without a group. I feel that it is my responsibility as a DM to provide a enjoyable experience for my players. I game for the social aspect of the hobby and if my players aren't enjoying themselves then I'm not enjoying myself. The best thing you can do if you are committed to homebrew campaign settings is get together for a few sessions not to play but to hash out a new campaign setting and let your players have an active part in fleshing it out. If they want to play Mind Flayers then fine, have Mind Flayers be the dominant race in the world but have the world come under attack by the Githyanki or some new menace. There is nothing that a Player can choose to play that a good DM can't come up with a challenge for. It may not be exactly the setting that you want but then you just have to remember that gaming is a group activity and it is not all about you. If they have a hand in your setting's creation then they'll have a vested interest in seeing it succeed.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
How about this for an alternative.

Make a local map of the area surrounding the PC's home town. Give them the races and classes that are common to their town and only let them create characters from those choices. If there isn't a wizard in town then obviously they couldn't have been trained to be a wizard. You can eliminate whatever classes you don't want that way but if the players REALLY want to play wizards then they'll have to search through your campaign world to find a teacher.
Anyway, as in the Sword of Shanarra the people of the town really don't know much about the world beyond maybe a couple days travel. As the PC's grew up there they also don't know much. You can then gradually increase their knowledge as they go through their adventuring careers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads