• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD miniatures line

Will you buy any of the new DnD miniatures line?

• No way

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Of course

Votes: 93 50.3%
  • Maybe if they hadn't randomized the boxes

Votes: 73 39.5%

DWARF

First Post
I've recently read up on the new DnD miniatures coming out. They're prepainted, come with stat cards.... and come in randomized boxes....

So, do you plan on buying any of these new miniatures?

Olive

Explorer
i am definitely going to buy one box. if i like the minis, think i'll get use out of them etc. then i'll buy more. right now i'm only DEFINITELY going to buy one box.

The number i buy depends a bit on a secondary market around here, as well as what minis are produced for each release... i mean if the first group includes carrion crawlers, shriekers, cloakers, and a bunch of other monsters i never use, then i'll probably hold off until the illithid, hobgoblin and dire lion box set is out. :D

Darrin Drader

Explorer
With the average price of each mini being somewhere around $1.25, I'm willing to buy some. I don't know whether the paint jobs will be worthwhile, but even if they aren't, they're $1.25 a piece!

Mercule

Adventurer
Baraendur said:
With the average price of each mini being somewhere around $1.25, I'm willing to buy some. I don't know whether the paint jobs will be worthwhile, but even if they aren't, they're $1.25 a piece!

From where I stand, paying $1.25 for a miniature that I'll never use is a bit like buying an ice cream cone and throwing it straight into the garbage.

I suppose it's possible that I'll pick up a pack of orcs or something similar, but I really have only minimal interest in miniatures for monsters. They're in and out so fast that I'm just as happy with dice as markers. If I can't find a mini for the PCs, I've got no interest in other minis, and I'm not likely to find a PC's figure in a random box.

Chris Coulter

First Post
I'm unusualy exited by the line and i've purchaced exactly 1 lead mini in the past 8 years.

I like that I don't have to paint them, because I have not the talent nor the time to do so.
I like the randome pack, because I'm going to end up with the chance to use monsters that I wouldn't normaly buy in my game.
I like the fact that the sculpting and paint for the prototypes looks so damn good.
I like the Low Low Price of $1.25 each.

And I like pie. Yum. Pie.

I just hope the finished line looks as good as the prototypes...

Pbartender

First Post
Mercule said:

From where I stand, paying $1.25 for a miniature that I'll never use is a bit like buying an ice cream cone and throwing it straight into the garbage.

For a $1.25 miniature that's really painted no worse than I paint my own, I'll find a way to include it into a game.

I've actually thought about a sort of "monster of the month" sort of game... Whatever random monsters I get in a pack is what I build my adventures around for that month.

Last edited:

DWARF

First Post
I wouldn't mind the idea of having SOME random packs, for the game or whatever. But, I'd like there to be some packs like "8 orcs" or have some in individual packs so if I want to grab a Otyugh, i can just get an Otyugh.

Althought it can be avoided, I'll just see if my LGS might just bust a bunch open and sell them individually for like 2 bucks each. Because I'd prefer paying that much more for something I know I have, instead of paying less and get stuff I'll never use.

Felon

First Post
Hopefully we'll be looking at a solid, inexpensive secondary market. If people are out there getting more random otyughs than they can possibly use, they're going to want to recoup their expenses.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
DWARF said:
I wouldn't mind the idea of having SOME random packs, for the game or whatever. But, I'd like there to be some packs like "8 orcs" or have some in individual packs so if I want to grab a Otyugh, i can just get an Otyugh.

Althought it can be avoided, I'll just see if my LGS might just bust a bunch open and sell them individually for like 2 bucks each. Because I'd prefer paying that much more for something I know I have, instead of paying less and get stuff I'll never use.

A better way to package them might be a boxed set of 7 or 8 figs that you can see (an orc warband, for example) combined with a single random (from a selection of more rare, powerful monsters) figurine that you can't.

DWARF

First Post
It's seems that instead of doing a DnD Warhammer, they're trying to do a DnD Mage Knight. The former failed, why not the latter?

Why is WotC trying their darndest to sell a product that already has it's niche filled by another product, for years.

Sure, as a mage knight (rip-ff) game, I guess random makes sense. But as for me using them? I'll just find it frusterating not to be able to get a miniature I want.

Remove ads