D&D 5E DnD Next - There's a Module for That

The Motto for 5th should be "There's a Module for that."
We've heard talk about some different modules; the Tactical Combat Module for example. What's interesting about Module design is that it lets the DM play game designer for his campaign. So here's my question, what Module do you want to see in the game.

What I'd like
  • Tactical Module - Includes rules for grid based minis combat, a selection of feats for PCs to take advantage of those rules, and simple rules to allow existing spells to function properly (like circular fireballs).
  • Mass Combat Module - Rules to run mass combat. They should allow PCs to be the focus while also including thousands of soldiers, special monsters (dragons, beholders, elephants), and siege equipment.
  • Theme Module - Allow this option to be an add in. Adding it would basically enable the skill rules.
  • Iron Man Module - This would allow Save v Death, death at 0 HPs, remove Raise Dead, and have rules for rapid character generation.
  • Pure Point Buy - This would turn off classes and allow PCs to be generated with just points. You start with X points and are reward Y points at each level to spend how you'd like

kitsune9

Adventurer
Module for having hirelings, men-at-arms, mercenaries, and followers adventuring with your character. I like having the words "adventuring company" mean something bigger than four players with four PC's.

Module for building a fortification or structure and managing an economy.

Module for magic item research.

pauljathome

First Post
what Module do you want to see in the game.

I want all modules to be well play tested to make sure that, either individually or with ANY combination of other modules, they do NOT alter the power level of the game nor do they significantly modify how characters interact with the world.

As an example of the latter, "Healing Modules" cannot have the effect of significantly altering how many encounters a group can handle before resting.

One of the big reasons that I run D&D as opposed to other games is the number of adventures that I can get for D&D. If the above 2 aren't more or less true then the ability of adventure writers to gauge threats is going to be very severely affected.

Yes, I realize that I'm overstating things above. The goal, as stated, is clearly impossible. But 5th edition will have to get reasonably close to that goal to satisfy me.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Module for having hirelings, men-at-arms, mercenaries, and followers adventuring with your character. I like having the words "adventuring company" mean something bigger than four players with four PC's.

Module for building a fortification or structure and managing an economy.

Module for magic item research.

This.

I am hoping for a guild module where players have multiple pcs that drop in and out per session as they go on missions. I'd need rules for running a guild. Rules for quickly advancing characters to catch up with the main guild PCs level. Rules for salary, business contracts (for magic items, medicine, and repairs), and real estate.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I'd need rules for running a guild. Rules for quickly advancing characters to catch up with the main guild PCs level. Rules for salary, business contracts (for magic items, medicine, and repairs), and real estate.

So I had taken a play off the old Living Greyhawk games from the RPGA that when your character joined a guild (it was called a metaorganization), you got certain character benefits.

When I ran my Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign, I wanted to emphasize belonging to a guild and have players responsibly pay dues and uphold their membership so I conferred certain in-game bonuses for guild membership at certain levels. If they left the guild or were expelled, they lost those benefits.

It was fairly cool--half my players were guild members.

Mercurius

Legend
I'd also like an "Indie" module with FATE style aspects, Keys for xp, robust social combat, etc.

Or you could just get married :p.

The Motto for 5th should be "There's a Module for that."

Right. I think the answer is "all of the above" - whereas in 4E "everything was core," in 5E it is "almost everything is optional."

Your post brought an interesting question to mind, though, which is whether or not the modules will be bits and pieces or gestalts and groupings. In other words, will the rules emphasize tacking on elements of tactical combat or, as you say (and I believe Monte implied) a tactical combat module, which implies a gestalt of a bunch of rules?

Of course the answer again will be, "Whatever you want to do," but it also matters what the rules emphasize or recommend. It might be easier and cleaner to have modular groupings and then have the mandatory "you can do it however you want" statement and general guidelines.

mkill

Adventurer
I want all modules to be well play tested to make sure that, either individually or with ANY combination of other modules, they do NOT alter the power level of the game nor do they significantly modify how characters interact with the world.

As an example of the latter, "Healing Modules" cannot have the effect of significantly altering how many encounters a group can handle before resting.

If anything, D&D needs the opposite. There has to be a nice big dial that the DM can turn, labeled "encounters before rest". There are very different story styles, and each DM needs to be able to set the dial the way he needs.

For example, classic dungeoneering pretty much doesn't allow a longer rest before PCs leave the dungeon. And dungeons can have a dozens of encounters, although most of them are probably short and swingy.

A fantasy road movie will be the opposite: PCs travel for days and weeks, and there won't be more than one or two encounters each day. The focus is on exploration and narrative, and battles are just one element.

Now, if you force both campaigns to use the same resource models, the group will be much more powerful in the second campaign. (In classic D&D, that's when the Wizard just blasts random encounters on the road with his highest level spells. There's even an OOTS comic about this).

Remove ads