DnD Shorts final video

darjr

I crit!
Yes, it does. We have been in talks to full turn it on to monitor the employees at my work. We have also set it for various client so they can track their workers.
Whats more it has a statistical analysis mode to try and discover things like disgruntled employees and/or who is spreading rumors.

It's not called that.

Steel_Wind

Legend
No kidding. How many good game franchises have been wrecked by seeking to become the next WOW?

One fact that is forgotten is a not all D&D players are MMORPG players. In fact, most of the people I have played with no not like MMO. Otherwise, would the two D&D MMOs be bigger then they are?
It is easy to get carried away here. There have been two significant contractions in terms of the player base -- mostly in people by-passing even entering the game (as opposed to leaving it), but it's happened twice.

The first was M:TG. That new game sucked out the wallets of players and many kids who might have played AD&D instead played M:TG and then moved on to something else. That disruption in player acquisition was fatal to a brand that was already wounded. AD&D died -- and the makers of M:TG ended up buying it.

The second occurred vaguely in 2006 through 2010, at WoW's height. There were a LOT of gaming groups that died or were dissolved at that time as players moved to WoW. There were DOZENS of those threads here on ENWorld at the time, some with MANY posts. Many others, who might have become D&D players? They simply did not. They were too busy playing WoW. What effect this had on 4th Ed? We'll never really know, but it certainly inspired aspects of its design. And in the end, 4e didn't turn out well for anybody.

Indeed, WoW was large enough at its height that it sucked the very life out of the rest of the computer games business (except for WoW itself). Retailing of all computer games came to an end in 2008 in virtually every retail point of sale in North America and most of Western Europe. It took another ~18 months and Steam to save that industry. (See "the Domedness of PC Gaming" threads from that era). Many computer game developers went under because of it and it changed the entire computer game publishing industry, from top to bottom. Those changes persist to this very day.

You are projecting your own social circle and personal experiences here in a way that is unwarranted and inaccurate.

tl;dr: WoW was disruptive AF.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think you just can't.

Mod Note:
I think you are getting reported for various reasons far too frequently. You are making yourself into a good example of a disruptive poster.

It is past time for you to reel in your tendencies to be snarky, and make discussion about the speakers, instead of keeping to what you are saying. Stop making it personal, and stop with the insulting potshots.

ECMO3

Hero
Why are people treating this video as fact?

You can only make decisions based on the a available information and we do know for a fact WOTC has lied multiple times and there is strong indications that even the newest apology obfuscates the real reasons for the move to deauthorize.

So when you have someone caught in a bald-face lie that makes further efforts and an apology that seems to skirt the real reason, then you just don't trust that company and tend to trust alternative explanations.

I think the tone in the new OGL 1.2 "playtest" is a lot better than the original statement from a week ago, but even here he talks about things like NFTs and hate as being the reason when all indications are the new license is to better WOTC's bottom line.

If WOTC was being completely 100% truthful they would come out and say "We need to deauthorize OGL 1.0a to improve our revenue and the profitability of the brand so our shareholders can make more money"

They didn't say that though, even in the newest apology.

raniE

Adventurer
It is easy to get carried away here. There have been two significant contractions in terms of the player base -- mostly in people by-passing even entering the game (as opposed to leaving it), but it's happened twice.

The first was M:TG. That new game sucked out the wallets of players and many kids who might have played AD&D instead played M:TG and then moved on to something else. That disruption in player acquisition was fatal to a brand that was already wounded. AD&D died -- and the makers of M:TG ended up buying it.

I think that contraction had already happened at that point. AD&D 2e did not sell as well as AD&D 1e or Basic D&D had. Magic came out in 1993, by that point AD&D 2e was already way behind 1e and Basic in sales.

Enrahim2

Adventurer
I think that contraction had already happened at that point. AD&D 2e did not sell as well as AD&D 1e or Basic D&D had. Magic came out in 1993, by that point AD&D 2e was already way behind 1e and Basic in sales.
There was multiple factors i play. While magic might have gotten a lot of the competative fantasy audience, White Wolf very agressively targeted the role players. And AD&D1 was still in use by their loyal fan base. It is likely hard to measure these factors agai st each other.

demoss

Explorer
D&D Shorts has been wrong several times. So I don't put stock in what he puts out.
I know of one instance of him having been wrong. That error was publicly acknowledged by him, and apologized for.

Please substantiate your claim of being wrong several times, or correct your statement.

Yes, he is not a reporter, and that shows - but that is a different kettle of fish.

demoss

Explorer
During 2e era there was also significant leakage into other RPGs.

It was the age of MANY games with principal feature of "this game has a unified rule system instead of a bazillion different ones", which was a very appealing prospect after having wrestled with 2e. None of them became as huge, but the big ones are still alive and kicking.

(Big in comparison to their competition, not in comparison to D&D.)

Remove ads