Do Darkvision and Low-light vision stack?

Eternalknight

First Post
So, how about this?

Eternalknight (with both low-light and darkvision of 60') is standing in a lighted area. The light extends out 30'. Low-light vision kicks in, allowing Eternalkniight to see out to 60'. Now, does drakvision kick in, allowing me to see out an extra 60', to 120'?

StealthyMark

First Post
Now, does drakvision kick in, allowing me to see out an extra 60', to 120'?
IMO, no.
First: A light doesn't end immediately. It fades away. Outside of the light radius is no darkness, thus no darkvision.
Second: Your "darkvision radar" has 60' range, centered on you.

grmbrand

First Post
Eternalknight said:
Eternalknight (with both low-light and darkvision of 60') is standing in a lighted area. The light extends out 30'. Low-light vision kicks in, allowing Eternalkniight to see out to 60'. Now, does drakvision kick in, allowing me to see out an extra 60', to 120'?

That's a negative. But consider that a character with both still has tremendous benefits: In low-light conditions, the character gets twice the human range of vision and still gets it in color; in darkness, they still get functional black and white vision when humans get none...

--Grmbrand

Mahali

Explorer
If you have both your first 60' is Darkvision, if Low-light would extend past that then it'd apply. You can use Darkvision whenever you want even in full day light. It'd make hiding rogues using shadows impossible.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mahali said:
You can use Darkvision whenever you want even in full day light. It'd make hiding rogues using shadows impossible.

As I understand it, this is not quite correct. One does not "choose" to use a form of vision - they aren't things a character can turn on and off. The form of vision comes into play whenever the appropriate lighting conditions exist in the area. If there is virtually no light at all, darkvision applies. If there is some, but not much, light, then low-light applies.

Darkvision does not make hiding in shadows useless unless it's already almost pitch dark, so that the vision kicks in. A shadow is a region of less light, but in the general case it is by no means an area of no light at all. If a dwarf is standing outdors in full sunlight, a rogue hiding in the shadow of a nearby tree is still safe, as it is nowhere near pitch dark under that tree, so the dwarfs vision is not an issue.

For sake of completeness, I also note that the rogue skill is not "hide in shadow" but "hide". Shadows are sometimes useful, but they are not required.

Mahali

Explorer
The description of Darkvision says that if the area is lit with a torch you can get color vision to 20' and another 40' of Darkvision. That leads me to believe lighting has no dominance over darkvision. In previous editions using Infravision was a choice for the character at any time.
To use the Hide skill once must hide behind something or in shadows. You can't "hide in plain sight" without that ability from a PrC and there are no shadows to someone using Darkvision.

hong

WotC's bitch
Mahali said:
To use the Hide skill once must hide behind something or in shadows. You can't "hide in plain sight" without that ability from a PrC and there are no shadows to someone using Darkvision.

All that darkvision is, is the ability to see without a light source. Whether or not you can use your Hide skill is unaffected. Things like using camouflage, getting behind cover, not making sudden movements, blending in with the background etc have nothing to do with the presence of shadows.

Hejdun

First Post
Here's an example.

The character had Darkvision (60 feet) and low light vision.

It's pitch black, so that character can see (black and white) within 60 feet.

The character is holding a lit torch, so now he can see everything within 40 feet normally, and another 20 feet in black and white only.

The character is holding a sunrod, and now he can see everything normally within 60 feet, since seeing in color is superior to seeing in black and white.

Remove ads