• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do DM's feel that Sharpshooter & Great Weapon Master overpowered?

As a DM do you feel that Sharpshooter & GWM are overpowered?

• Poll closed .

Kryx

Explorer
I see the issue is not so much -5/+10 but that not all weapon feats do and aren't given as better effect too.
As I outlined above this feat isn't even balanced among users of this weapon type. It is far more valuable where advantage is readily available (Barbarian, OoV Paladin, BM Fighter).
It'd be impossible to make balanced among those classes who can use big weapons.

Beyond that it would be an arduous task to add feats to balance out every other weapon. I highly doubt anyone could do it effectively.

Kryx

Explorer
If that's your position then make it clear from the beginning that martial options being competitive against one another is not a concern of yours. Because that's the choice you're making. That's much simpler than wrapping it other reasons.

Plain and simply you either care that martial options have viable options to be competitive or you don't. That's what this poll is about.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
If that's your position then make it clear from the beginning that martial options being competitive against one another is not a concern of yours. Because that's the choice you're making. That's much simpler than wrapping it other reasons.

Plain and simply you either care that martial options have viable options to be competitive or you don't. That's what this poll is about.
No the poll is about Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master feats being overpowered or not. I made clear in my first post that competitiveness between martial vs spellcaster was a concern of mine.

Nerfing these feats would just give more ground to spellcasters supremacy, not the opposite.

Plaguescarred

Now if you're asking if those feats are among the best and unbalanced between all the ones available, the answer is yes they definitly are. But then i don't think feats were necessarily made to be perfectly equally balanced. They vary in utility and usefulness.

I don't think it's random luck if UA had a an article giving more weapon feats options. They're looking to give more to this department.

Kryx

Explorer
Perhaps you missed it above:
Spellcasting power is at best tertiary to this discussion. There is a caster/martial divide, though it is much smaller in 5e. However this topic is talking about the power that this feat gives some martial characters. That increased power isn't really relevant to the topic of the caster/martial divide and to use this feat as a "fix" to that divide is incredibly problematic as it does nothing for many martial builds. At best this strategy would further weaken classes like Monk, Rogue, Ranger, or TWF.
You can't try to fix a divide by granting a small subset of martial classes a much higher power than other martial options. This just creates a divide between martial options while doing little to address the versatility divide.

Kryx

Explorer
I don't think it's random luck if UA had a an article giving more weapon feats options. They're looking to give more to this department.
The ideas of 3.X and 4e where characters can only function with their one weapon is on the rise.
It's unfortunate that many of the WotC 5e designers have left the building. I wish they were still here to stop Mearls' poor design.

Plaguescarred

You can't try to fix a divide by granting a small subset of martial classes a much higher power than other martial options. This just creates a divide between martial options while doing little to address the versatility divide.
You think the same doesn't happen between spellcasting classes themselves?

Adding better options to a subset will make it better it's by design. Like i said before, the problem is not how good some option are if you're concerned with such problem, it's that others aren't given as better options too.

Remove ads