• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do I have a problem with this Sacred Fist ability?

Blood Jester

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Do I have a problem with this Sacred Fist ability?

drnuncheon said:

More like saying 'Keen Edge' or 'Greater Magic Fang' would ignore SR, I think.

It all depends on whether the 'target' of the effect is 'creature touched', or whether it's the Sacred Fist. In the latter case, the fact that SR affects SLAs is irrelevant, since he's using the effect on himself.

Since the effect is not a touch attack (as shocking grasp or chill touch are) I'd say that it works like GMF/a flaming sword/etc

J

Hmmmm...

Flame arrow can enchant regular arrows to also do fire damage to the target, and SR applies to that...

Bauglir

First Post
The best analogy I can think of off the top of my head is greater magic fang (which is NOT affected by spell resistance)

Edit: Which has been covered in the time between me reading and me replying :)

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Flame Arrows

Blood Jester said:

Hmmmm...

Flame arrow can enchant regular arrows to also do fire damage to the target, and SR applies to that...

True, but this spell turns them into "fiery projectiles." Conceivably, it's transmuting them, not just putting flames on top of them. It does seem more similar to GMF to me, in terms of affecting a weapon rather than affecting a creature.

Daniel

keb

First Post
Fire shield and death armor are cast only upon the spellcaster (Range: Personal, Target: You) just like the Sacred Flame ability, yet SR will negate the damage from both spells.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Personally, I would do one of the following:

1. Make a Supernatural ability activatable as a free action.

2. Keep it a Spell-like ability with an indefinite duration that acts like Greater Magic Weapon as in SR doesn't defend against the effect.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Doesn't look like it. Looks like it could go either way.

Personally, for my game I am going to treat the activation as a spell-like ability (draws an AoO, takes a standard action to activate) and the effect like a flaming sword. I'll review this decision when 3.5 comes out, but I'm happy with it for now. I don't think it will cause balance problems, and I dislike nerfing an ability of Wulf's class after I already made a decision about it.

Blood Jester, if you buy me a beer at ConnCon, you can try to convince me otherwise. :D

incognito

First Post
Personally, for my game I am going to treat the activation as a spell-like ability (draws an AoO, takes a standard action to activate)

I'm with you on this one. I think the intent of the power was to have it drawin an AoO, and take a standard action, not to allow creatures hit by the fist to apply thier SR.

As other posters have commented, there is no clear ruling that can be gleaned from other spells, so you are in 'wing it' territory.

[sOT]Can I ask when you anticipate getting your adv. copy of 3.5?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads