Do I need a hexmap?

Gaxkang

Villager
I'm starting a new campaign and still being a relatively newish DM (less than a year) I kind of want to make a more episodic and sandboxy game like I've been reading about, without a main storyline or anything like that but more just interesting locations to explore and a bunch of different adventures I've read about seeded into the game that the players can pick. I have some adventures I'm gonna use but Im really not sure what to do about the map. Should I make a hex map for the players to roam about in and put the adventures in locations there? Or should I just have a rough sketch of the general location? I really never made a map in my other times I've DMed the game for my friends and Im not sure how to go about it. Is it worth plotting out a hexmap, and how big should it be? Just looking for general advice because Ive never done this. Thanks!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
A 50x50 hex map will cover about a day's travel in any direction from your central hub (town, city, whatever you like), assuming 1 hex=1 mile. Could be a good start. If you need something bigger, increase the scale. But it could probably reasonably hold 4 good adventures, plus random encounters.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Nagol

Unimportant
Do you need a hex map? No.

I do think having some form of map is highly advantageous. If outdoor exploration is going to be a thing in the campaign.

A graphed map makes building a key and associated descriptive documents simpler. The cells are a convenience rather than a requirement. If you want to scribble a map on a blank piece of paper and then use a ruler to measure travel distances, it works at least as well. Counting hexes to estimate distance and being able to mark them as explored/cleared are the big advantages. Squares or offset squares work pretty much the same if you're more comfortable with those types of rulings.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The DM's guide gives good guides on different mapping levels.

Here is something that will make your life easy, get Hexographer by Inkwell Ideas. It makes it easy to build hex maps and place icons. You can add notes to the map so you can run the game from it.

They currently have a Kickstarter for Worldographer, so you may want to check that out and see if they have deals for Worldographer when it is release if you buy Hexographer. But even if you never buy Worldographer, Hexographer should more than meet your needs.

It really is the easiest way to make hex maps and is a great tool for Sandbox adventures. You can also have it automatically generate hex maps based on a few preferences.

The DM's guide gives good guides on different mapping levels..

I would even say that the 5e D&D DMG gives excellent advice on this (in spite of some contradictory instructions if you compare to a later chapter). In about one column of text it gives concise, step by step instructions on how to draw the physical geography and place settlements in a region. This is the kind of stuff that is often difficult to find, but they did their job and made it easy. (If you aren't playing D&D I wouldn't get the DMG just for that page, but if you or a friend has it--use it!)

aramis erak

Legend
A hexmap isn't essential. it's nice, but not essential.

I use one for my home campaigns, at any of 4 mile, 8 mile, 24 mile, or (rarely) 0.1 mile hexes. Why? Those were thetwo Gazeteer standards and a good city mapping scale.

(528 feet is about 105 x 5' squares... 600', or 0.1 Nuatical Miles, is 120x 5' squares...)

I'd recommend using 6 and 24 for 5E... because those work best with the overland movement rules...

But you can also use an ungridded map just fine without a grid, or even have a gridded transparency printed at your local copy shop to go over the gridless map.

Hexographer is pretty nifty for easy overland hexmaps. (Hexographer 2 should be a huge step forward. )

CC3 is quite useful for multiple-scale maps, but has a huge learning curve.

Remove ads