D&D General Do I need an attitude adjustment? (They're gonna nova the BBEG)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
What about the tarokka reading and the location for the fated encounter with Strahd, though?
That’s where they can always encounter him - when they get there. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t seek them out first somewhere else...

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
What about the tarokka reading and the location for the fated encounter with Strahd, though?
Just like it’s possible not to find the sword or the amulet, or for the ally to be killed, it’s possible to confront Strahd in other places. The fate Eva saw was just one possibility. If the players go there, they will find Strahd there. But he might choose to confront them somewhere else.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
1606851370673.png

1606851382308.png
Ravenloft is filled with examples of people who keep escaping ravenloft only to get pulled back over & over again,, usually when least prepared. Prophecy is a sneaky thing & the Dark Powers aren't going to give the PCs or Strahd an easy out... Use the mists to send them some place "nice" like just beside an athsian water caravan under attack by cannibal halflings & bring them back later in the middle of some other adventure after strahd has prepared better & has a bunch of extra PC levels. Strahd might not even use that castle any longer.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I just remembered something!

Last session, while they were looting the crypt, the PCs woke up Sasha Ivliskova (Strahd's neglected bride). With a few good Persuasion rolls, they talked her out of attacking them by distracting her with the news that Strahd was marrying someone else, and sent her upstairs. I don't think they had any thought beyond "Maximum chaos LOL" (with a side order of "Don't wanna fight her"), but maybe I can use that. Like, the ceremony gets put on hold while all the guests comb the castle looking for the intruders. Guests include werewolves, Barovian witches, and other dangerous folks.

Oofta

Legend

Last session, while they were looting the crypt, the PCs woke up Sasha Ivliskova (Strahd's neglected bride). With a few good Persuasion rolls, they talked her out of attacking them by distracting her with the news that Strahd was marrying someone else, and sent her upstairs. I don't think they had any thought beyond "Maximum chaos LOL" (with a side order of "Don't wanna fight her"), but maybe I can use that. Like, the ceremony gets put on hold while all the guests comb the castle looking for the intruders. Guests include werewolves, Barovian witches, and other dangerous folks.
Suddenly I'm envisioning the following with the PCs somewhere at the bottom trying to crawl for cover
KOW.jpg

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

Pg 76-82 in Ravenloft core rulebook goes into detail on curses in ravenloft, a lot of the time they just need he attention of Dark Powers & the right words for some horrific/tragic results rather than a spell. You might want to check them out :D
There is lots of great info there to screw with her or the players in useful ways :devilish:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You got 8 people in your group. Changing some stuff will definatly be needed by default, I think.
I'm a bit late to this party, so I don't know if it's been pointed out, but 8 players pretty much means that you should DOUBLE EVERYTHING. You can take any given encounter and put twice as many creatures into it, and the PCs will probably be fine 90% of the time.

lobsterGun

Explorer
As of now, the PCs have entered the BBEG's domain, which is large. Their plan is to explore the place thoroughly and loot everything of value they can find, camping whenever they get low on resources (using Leomund's Tiny Hut). ...
I know you're not looking for technical advice... but I can't help myself.

Dude is a super genius. He knows what LTH does. Every time they cast it, fill the corridor with poison gas ...or ghosts ... or water ...or magma. Or maybe just annoy them with a magic mouth singing off key 'twangy ole' folk songs.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I know you're not looking for technical advice... but I can't help myself.

Dude is a super genius. He knows what LTH does. Every time they cast it, fill the corridor with poison gas ...or ghosts ... or water ...or magma. Or maybe just annoy them with a magic mouth singing off key 'twangy ole' folk songs.
How about a Swarm of Bats patrolling the corridor?
(vampiric bats: use Stirges)

Remove ads