• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do non-spellcasting, non-adventuring priests exist in D&D?

underthumb

First Post
I've always had the impression that D&D worlds (e.g. Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, etc.) are populated by at least some non-adventuring priests that are incapable of casting spells. These priests tend to flocks and officiate over rituals, but little else. However, recently I spoke to someone who did not have this impression at all. He stated that all priests of a given church can cast spells.

Is he right? Am I right? Help me with my confusion.

You are correct. Not only do non-spellcasting priests exist, they make up the overwhelming majority of priests in D&D's default and major settings. (This is explicit in 4E and in 3E Eberron, but it's at least implicit in other settings as well.)

Thanee

First Post
In Keep of the Shadowfell (the first 4E adventure) there is one such priest.

She does know rituals, though, but no spells, prayers or such.

Bye
Thanee

Psion

Adventurer
I don't know of any FR or generic D&D products that play it that way. Eberron does have a heavier focus on non-adventuring-class NPCs.

I do know some Story Hours (Sepulchrave's) and some third party products (Auran d20) that assumed that some or most of the clergy were actually experts.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Priest/cleric is a class and gets all class abilities including casting spells.

If you want a "friar" or something that preaches the gospel of Umberlee but does not cast spells, then you can do so with any NPC you want.

Not all NPCs need to have a PC class.

Priest/cleric is a class and gets all class abilities including casting spells.

Not quite.

Cleric is a class.

Priest is simply a title of someone's position.

While many players use "priest" and "cleric" interchangeably, the rules do not. Someone can be a priest without being a cleric.

Psion

Adventurer
While many players use "priest" and "cleric" interchangeably, the rules do not. Someone can be a priest without being a cleric.

Hmmm. I seem to remember one of the completes described a mage as a full (i.e., 9 spell levels) arcane casting class and priests as any full divine casting class.

EDIT: I guess not. CArcane distinguishes between mages, arcanists, and the like, but no mention of priests.

Last edited:

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Not quite.

Cleric is a class.

Priest is simply a title of someone's position.

Check all the editions again real quick. ;) (Yeah druids are also priests of nature)

Point being... a classed character should get all those class skills. A non-classed character doesn't need any of them.

Hmmm. I seem to remember one of the completes described a mage as a full (i.e., 9 spell levels) arcane casting class and priests as any full divine casting class.

While I don't recall that particular reference, even if it's the case, it's vastly overwhelmed by the number of references that use "priest" as a generic title, without reference to class or level.

Check all the editions again real quick. ;) (Yeah druids are also priests of nature)

I don't have any real interest in bringing 2E into this discussion. Unless someone specifies otherwise, I tend to assume they're playing either the latest edition, or at least the most recent OOP edition. IOW, either 3E/3.5 or 4E.

If you want to start arguing definitions throughout every edition, there's absolutely zero common ground on which to discuss, since NPC rules and habits changed dramatically throughout.

Remove ads