• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do people in your games actually use "builds"

fba827

Adventurer
I level up organically based on things that the PC seems to be doing a lot, or might be doing and could be good at type thing. However, I do have a rough list or any feats/options that i noticed during creation that i consider first when leveling up (but it is by no means an extensive list to carry through all levels, just a small handful of any options that jumped out at me that i didn't want to forget to at least consider).

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Definitely a common sight in 3rd edition. I know many people including myself who made character creation decisions based upon future class levels, feats, skill availability, etc.

the Jester

Legend
I let people develop their characters however they'd like- whether planned from the start or organically- and have a mix of player types.

That said, I also ALWAYS use dice for stats in my campaign and will NEVER allow point buy.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My PCs always have a "plan" that covers how they would expect to grow over time, consisting of a bunch of different goals. But that is not inviolate. The plan changes as the campaign progresses.*

And this is system-neutral for me, this is what I've done with almost every PC I've played since 1982, regardless of game.

* just like real life.

mkill

Adventurer
Builds are kind of a 3E thing. Just levelling to see what happens just doesn't work. The two main factors are prestige class prerequisites and the huge power differences between classes. If you don't plan ahead, you can end up with a sucky character. I've seen it and it's sad.

Now, I wish 3E had done the class balance better, removed prestige class prerequisites in favor of starting them all at level 11, and removed feat chains. Some players would still use builds, but it would be much less of a pain if you don't.

I haven't seen builds at the table back in AD&D times or after we switched to 4E, and not in any non-D&D games (I count PF as 3E here).

Quickleaf

Legend
It's funny, but typically optimized characters will have a dump stat (a 'weakness') in a point buy ability system. Whereas more balanced "jack of all trades master of none" characters tend not to have glaring weaknesses.

In my last couple 4e games all of the group leveled characters according to what they wanted the character to be able to do, not what the character had experienced. As far as character depth and optimization working at odds, well that's just not true...I was the only player who gave personality and depth to my PC, and I also ran one of the more optimized characters. He was a ranger/seeker who unleashed barrages of maximized ranged basic attacks, yet he was also a smarmy, accented ass of a wild elf with ridiculous superstitions (Int 8) and offbeat sense of humor.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Well, weakness was probably not the correct word. However, most systems except D&D include some sort of drawback mechanic that allows the DM to utilize some story options for the character. In my experience , exploiting a character's weakness (there's that pesky word again) make the character have to face some tough decisions. Playing with someone who doesn't have these exploits generally tends to be a "by the numbers" kind of game with no real suspense or insight about the nature of humanity. It's perfectly fine for a group to play this way, but generally when I play GURPS, or HERO, or even pathfinder there are options for some drawbacks that generally make a more enjoyable story .

Elf Witch

First Post
I have seen both and as a DM I allow it. For some the best part of the game is making builds for others they prefer a more organic growth.

I prefer a more organic growth for my characters. I start off with a plan but allow it to be adaptable taking in consideration what is happening in the campaign.

I allow both rolling and point buy. If you roll you take what you get unless it would be under a 25 point buy. Point buy is 32 points.

I have found that most people who like builds use the point buy and those who prefer a more organic style roll.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads