• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do two different Resist Energies Stack?

Stalker0

Legend
I'm going with the overall opinion on this one, I allow them to stack. However, I understand your dms opinion, and I think the RAW can make him up. As you said, its a slippery slope with other types of spells. However, I alllow the resists to work in my game, I don't; allow multiple spell immunities and so forth.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I can't understand the DM's opinion, I don't think it makes sense!

stacking/overlapping doesn't even come into it - it is just two different forms of protection (which happen to be generated by the same basic spell).

I wonder, would he prevent one use of pyrotechnics from blinding someone, then a subsequent use of pyrotechnics from choking them (by using the fireworks and the choking cloud effects of the spell respectively)?

Would he not allow someone to wear a ring of fire resistance and a ring of acid resistance and be protected against both fire and acid?

The 'same effect with differing results' SRD text refers to stuff like false life cast twice. The resist energy has different effect with the same results (protection from fire:10 or protection from acid:10 for instance).

Cheers

Matthias_Gloom

First Post
Resist Energy: Acid, and Resist Energy: Electricity should definatly be able to affect a target at the same time.
Because they are using different energy types, they have different descriptors and will not negate eachother.
If a pair of mages both cast the spell with the same energy descriptor, the one with the higher caster level would trump. They would both still be in effect, but only the stronger one would actually matter.

rvalle

First Post
Ummm... I thought they didn't stack. Actually, one of my players said they didn't stack and I went along with it figuring it was the 'two spells of the same spells don't stack' thing.

It does make for a somewhat more interesting choice on which spell the party will cast on themselves.

The idea of two differant resist rings hadn't come up yet.

rv

Nail

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
I can't understand the DM's opinion, I don't think it makes sense!
Me too.

Resist Cold is different than Resist Electricity, for example. They are not the same effect, so they don't overlap.

chriton227 said:
Although that does raise the question of how people would handle other spells with multiple versions. Would you allow someone to have both the warm and cold versions of Fire Shield up at the same time, meaning that an attacker would take 1d6+CL cold and 1d6+CL fire on every hit?
No, I wouldn't.

How about two bestow curses on the BBEG, one the -4 to most rolls, the other the 50% chance to act?
I wouldn't if they were from the same caster. I would if they were different casters.

Neither of my two rules interpretations are particularly supported by the RAW, or if they are then my interpretation that you can have multiple resist energies of different types isn't.

Please can someone give a definitive answer under the RAW, so I know which are the houserules :) .

maggot

First Post
Nail said:
Resist Cold is different than Resist Electricity, for example. They are not the same effect, so they don't overlap.

If there were two spells "Resist Cold" and "Resist Electricity", I would agree with you. But there is only one spell: Resist Energy. Can you have two active copies of that spell at the same time?

Do you allow multiple versions of the psionic power Animal Affinity for different attributes?

Drowbane

First Post
maggot said:
If there were two spells "Resist Cold" and "Resist Electricity", I would agree with you. But there is only one spell: Resist Energy. Can you have two active copies of that spell at the same time?

I guess by RAW, you're correct. In this particular case, its a stupid rule...

maggot said:
Do you allow multiple versions of the psionic power Animal Affinity for different attributes?

Absolutely. Don't you allow Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace to both be in effect? :p

maggot

First Post
Drowbane said:
Absolutely. Don't you allow Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace to both be in effect? :p

Of course, those are two different spells. Animal Affinity manifested for strength and Animal Affinity manifested for dexterity are the same ability used twice. Entirely different case.

Remove ads