D&D 5E Do we have an ETA yet? (And a couple questions about Next)

Mercurius

Legend
I'm sure all of this has been discussed to death, so forgive my boorishness, but I haven't been posting or reading the forums for some time and am wanting an update. Some questions:

Do we have a date yet for the arrival of D&D Next?

Do we know what format it is going to be published in? (e.g. starter set, three books, etc)

Is the latest playtest packet enough to play with until the rules are officially published?

Are they still going with the basic idea of a simple core game with "optional modules" for different styles of game play?

Anything else I should know as I tentatively start to plan a new campaign to run starting in January?

Thanks! I look forward to any and all replies.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Thanks, Morrus. Is 2014 confirmed? It says 2014 on the front page, but last time I was paying attention, Mearls said 2015.

The basic rule of thumb is that Mike contradicts himself but Rodney Thompson clarifies.

I would be trawling Rodney's comments if you are looking for accurate information.

Kinak

First Post
Do we know what format it is going to be published in? (e.g. starter set, three books, etc)
They haven't specifically said that I know of. There's been some hints at there being a basic game and more advanced options, but no real details on the packaging.

Is the latest playtest packet enough to play with until the rules are officially published?
Opinions will vary as to whether it's ready to play, but it has enough material to play through max level. It's not enough for someone without a basic knowledge of roleplaying, but I'm guessing you won't have that problem.

Are they still going with the basic idea of a simple core game with "optional modules" for different styles of game play?
Last we heard. A lot of things have been moved into and out of modules, so it's a little hard to keep track of what their plans are.

The main one that they've mentioned a few times is a tactical combat module. Skills were optional for a while, now they're not. Feats went through the same cycle, but now can be optional per-player (which is arguably better).

Anything else I should know as I tentatively start to plan a new campaign to run starting in January?
There's still a few classes missing and a few that are due for updates. In general, I'd suggest going over the rules in detail and making sure you're actually okay with using something that's not wholly polished for a whole campaign.

Cheers!
Kinak

Mercurius

Legend
Thanks all, especially [MENTION=6694112]Kinak[/MENTION] for the question-by-question answers!

I'll take your advice and read over the rules as I dabble with ideas for a campaign. It sounds like the parts that are missing are parts I don't mind missing; I'm very comfortable with "ad hocking" and prefer a sense of space in the rules. Also, the group I would be playing with tend to be "old fogies" (~40-45ish) who grew up on AD&D and are used to that style. I'm the only one, I think, that played 3.x - the rest started 4E after not playing since 2E or even 1E.

2014 makes sense from the standpoint of the 40th anniversary. I'm wondering if they are considering coming out with some kind of deluxe starter set for GenCon, then the Holy Trinity (PHB, DMG, MM) in the Spring of 2015. Of course that's a long gap between the two, but maybe they'll fill it with a campaign box set adventure or something...

Kinak

First Post
I'll take your advice and read over the rules as I dabble with ideas for a campaign. It sounds like the parts that are missing are parts I don't mind missing; I'm very comfortable with "ad hocking" and prefer a sense of space in the rules. Also, the group I would be playing with tend to be "old fogies" (~40-45ish) who grew up on AD&D and are used to that style. I'm the only one, I think, that played 3.x - the rest started 4E after not playing since 2E or even 1E.
I think you'll do just fine then. If you were comfortable running 1st/2nd and 3rd, I don't think you'll run into any challenges you haven't dealt with before.

2014 makes sense from the standpoint of the 40th anniversary. I'm wondering if they are considering coming out with some kind of deluxe starter set for GenCon, then the Holy Trinity (PHB, DMG, MM) in the Spring of 2015. Of course that's a long gap between the two, but maybe they'll fill it with a campaign box set adventure or something...
I absolutely agree on the 40th anniversary thing. My gut suggestion would be core books at GenCon, then a beginner's box out in time for Christmas.

But I've been doing a really bad job predicting what they're going to do the last few years, so take that with a grain of salt.

Cheers!
Kinak

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

I combined these two questions because they are related.

They are definitely creating a basic game and then modules you can attach, and they've announced I think four different modules so far: tactical combat, storygame, customization subclasses, and a downtime module.

I also strongly suspect, but this is not confirmed, that they have a Basic edition in mind, with feats and backgrounds/skills removed, four classes and four races, that is compatible with the Advanced system with all the classes, races, and additional material.

Yes absolutely. We've been playing for a few months, it's lots of fun. They even sold one "official" adventure at Gen-Con, and there are many free conversions of adventures from WOTC.

Remove ads