D&D 5E Do we really need D&D:Next to be the One Edition?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
All of these examples involve you and only you. RPGs, basically by definition, involve other people as well. I suppose you could play an RPG by yourself?
Skipped my first one with the video game thing, did you? Go back and reread it. That's the comparison.

The rest of what you quoted? Just to demonstrate preference. However, let's make some group activities. If my friends all went out to seafood, I wouldn't go, because I don't like seafood. If they all went out to drive monster trucks, I wouldn't go, because I dislike driving large cars. If they had some sort of weird pineapple soda party, where each person has to drink pineapple soda, I wouldn't go, because I don't like pineapple soda.

The point, of course, is that if the group is engaging in something where my preference has waned (or is just nonexistent), then I'm going to skip it. The same applies to RPGs. And that's fine. Because, as always, play what you like :)

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Aren't all the 3e fans left unsupported by WotC simply playing Pathfinder now, or the 3e materials still available or that they already own?

Not all of the 3.5 holdouts are enamored of Pathfinder. Some are very hostile toward the changes made in Pathfinder.

You are right though they are still using their old materials or hitting up Ebay to require those books if they dont already have them.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I think, at worst, if 5e fails, WotC will shelve it for a few years or a decade, then test the waters, and if there's excitement, bring it back. Maybe re-printing 2e or starting with games based on 2e settings, since the 90s should be coming back by then.

I wouldn't mind if this were the worst case, but I'm skeptical. Allowing that 5E were to fail, I don't think the TTRPG market will look *more* inviting to WotC/Hasboro in 10 years time. Especially if those ten years pass without the D&D brand functioning as the gateway to the hobby.

A "worst" (and in my opinion more plausible) end to this scenario would be the D&D IP being refurbished as an Axis & Allies clone, or maybe a CCG. Or maybe just as a licensing property whose manager fires C&D orders to everyone in the hobby who resembles D&D.

Remove ads