D&D 5E Do you actually use "Lifestyle Expenses?"

So here's my question: Do you worry about cost of living concerns in your game? Or do you handwave that mess in favor of high adventure? Why or why not?
it depends... sometimes we just skip it, but the reason we already are annoyed at some of the 'growth' of the game. when we try to use money as a motivator it always falls flat, if played straight you get too much too fast. We have found at start maybe 1 or 2 sessions you end up counting every silver to get the things you need/want then boom once you saved up to get your stuff you end up with huge amounts of money to do anything wit...

I used it in my first 5e campaign....it proved universally unpopular with the group. These days I'm fine with handwaving it, save for extravagant expenses.

I used it in a sort of way. They were gifted the rebrand hideout and remodeled it into a small keep. They had to pay the retainers and workers. This also kept their gold in check so they didn't get too rich.

Heck, at a certain point, we don't even bother with copper or silver or electrum pieces. Everything is paid with either gp or pp.
i swear i have seen players give bartenders platinum coins per drink say 'keep the change' for 2 copper beer... and i don't even mean "here this will cover for the night"(but i have seen that too) i mean 'over the night i buy 5 or 6 beers so each time i throw a PP i will just mark off 6"

i once (as a player) had a DM in 5th level game roll kobold bandits as a random encounter and when they said they wanted gold i said "you know what, if you go home i will give you 500gold" and the DMs eyes popped out of his head... another PC asked what they had for weapons (spears and daggers) then said "if we give you better equipment you could go become mercenaries instead of bandits... so we gave them magic weapons and armor we didn't want.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
In some games, I will tie useful benefits to what you spend on it so that there's a specific reason to pay for the higher lifestyle tiers.

Yeah, this is what I track. Basic life expenses are generally not of concern, but going above and beyond merits consideration, both for cost and reward. Especially relevant for me because one character at the table goes out of their way to pursue those expenses just because of personal taste.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm using them right now. In addition to all of the incentives that other people have already mentioned, living expenses can also affect how other factions react to the heroes. Like...unless you are living at least a "wealthy" lifestyle, you make Charisma checks at disadvantage with the Merchant Guild faction....but if you are living an "aristocratic" lifestyle, you make those Charisma checks at advantage.

That sort of thing.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I totally do it in a warhammer game - but money is hard to come by in that system.

For D&D I do it on a weekly or even monthly basis, not day by day. It's a great way not to beancount and make money still matter - costs add up!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm using them right now. In addition to all of the incentives that other people have already mentioned, living expenses can also affect how other factions react to the heroes. Like...unless you are living at least a "wealthy" lifestyle, you make Charisma checks at disadvantage with the Merchant Guild faction....but if you are living an "aristocratic" lifestyle, you make those Charisma checks at advantage.

That sort of thing.
Nice. This reminds me of a Paizo AP mechanic that leans into items like lifestyle mechanics that are often left vague. So, I could definitely see this as an item that is campaign dependent. Something I have not used in the past (for D&D/Fantasy) but might want to give another shot.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Depends on the campaign.

For example, in one game I was running there was copious amounts of downtime. There I definitely used it. The party was hard up for money as well.

In another game I am running the party are all elite agents of the Imperium - not only don't I bother with upkeep costs but they can requisition pretty much any mundane equipment. Need horses? The Post will lend them to you, and you can keep riding to the next Post House and swap out to fresh ones as often as needed.

Remove ads