D&D 5E Do you actually use "Lifestyle Expenses?"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So here's my question: Do you worry about cost of living concerns in your game? Or do you handwave that mess in favor of high adventure? Why or why not?

Generally, yes. And largely because it simplifies the piddly accounting without the players slipping into living high on the hog without support for that in game.

There is a time and place for lifestyle expenses. Our gaming table doesn't usually get to that time and place but we have been there.

The game is not a 'monolith'. Play styles vary from table to table, from year to year, from person to person, and even within the same person depending on mood.

Sometimes we want play Dungeons and Dragons, and sometimes we want to Play Dungeons and Dragons (and sometimes we want to PLAY Dungeons and Dragons).

After characters get their first gold piece, not really. When 1 sp is a week's wages and you just picked up a 10 gp gem off the floor in a dungeon hall (and are staring at a treasure chest in the next room), how do you make living expenses matter?
You make the treasure chest in the next room a mimic. It's up to you to decide what happens next when the cleric casts Toll the Dead on the ordinary looking chest...

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
After characters get their first gold piece, not really. When 1 sp is a week's wages and you just picked up a 10 gp gem off the floor in a dungeon hall (and are staring at a treasure chest in the next room), how do you make living expenses matter?
Tie the expenses to benefits and detriments, and/or make access to particular downtime activities require a higher spend on lifestyle expenses. Works like a charm in every campaign I've ran.

I would use lifestyle expenses routinely if I were running a more sandbox-y type game with lots of opportunities for long stretches of downtime. I wouldn't in, say, an "adventure of the week"-style game where downtime is more or less entirely abstracted away. In the game I'm running now, I have, but have gotten away from it since it made sense for the PCs' employers to pay their room and board.

Whatever the case, lifestyle expenses and whatnot can be handled in big lump sums at the start or end of downtime.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Petty cash issues make sense from a worldbuilding standpoint. But in practice I find that they can steal narrative attention from robbing dragons, fighting evil, and generally being big damn heroes. I suppose there's some adventure to be wrung from low-stakes, low-magic, "can we afford to make rent on the guildhall this month" plots, but those seem to get outclassed pretty quickly.
The point of lifestyle expenses is not to wring adventure out of them. They’re part of downtime for a reason; downtime is the opposite of adventure. It’s what you do between adventures. And the point of lifestyle expenses during downtime is to attach a concrete game action (in this case the depletion of resources) to the passage of downtime days.

To answer the question, I have used lifestyle expenses before, but I find they don’t have enough consequence to work well. The benefits and drawbacks of each lifestyle are purely narrative, which makes them feel not worth caring about. Plus, the amount of money they cost quickly becomes trivial to PCs anyway.

I’ve got an idea I want to try with them, which is to tie downtime days (as a resource you spend to perform downtime activities) to lifestyle. Each week you buy a lifestyle, and that lifestyle determines how many days that week you can spend on downtime activities (the remainder of the week going towards working to insure your basic needs are met). Wretched gets you one downtime day, and each category above that gets you an additional day, up to all seven days for Aristocratic.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The point of lifestyle expenses is not to wring adventure out of them. They’re part of downtime for a reason; downtime is the opposite of adventure. It’s what you do between adventures. And the point of lifestyle expenses during downtime is to attach a concrete game action (in this case the depletion of resources) to the passage of downtime days.

To answer the question, I have used lifestyle expenses before, but I find they don’t have enough consequence to work well. The benefits and drawbacks of each lifestyle are purely narrative, which makes them feel not worth caring about. Plus, the amount of money they cost quickly becomes trivial to PCs anyway.

I’ve got an idea I want to try with them, which is to tie downtime days (as a resource you spend to perform downtime activities) to lifestyle. Each week you buy a lifestyle, and that lifestyle determines how many days that week you can spend on downtime activities (the remainder of the week going towards working to insure your basic needs are met). Squalid gets you one downtime day, and each category above that gets you an additional day, up to all 7 days for Wealthy.
Do you plan to keep the time a downtime activity takes the same? I think many of them are tied to a week, which would mean many downtime activities would be Wealthy level lifestyle expense. And would it be Wealthy daily rate x 7 or just the daily rate to cover the week?

Remove ads