Do you believe we are alone in the universe?

The universe is far, far, far too big and ancient a place to reasonably rule out life elsewhere. Even if the galaxy is currently lacking intelligent life other than our own (and I'm not convinced it is - our expectations of what intelligent life should be doing with itself is, obviously, prejudiced toward our own ideals), I don't think it was nor will be. I'm also much more optimistic about...

The universe is far, far, far too big and ancient a place to reasonably rule out life elsewhere. Even if the galaxy is currently lacking intelligent life other than our own (and I'm not convinced it is - our expectations of what intelligent life should be doing with itself is, obviously, prejudiced toward our own ideals), I don't think it was nor will be. I'm also much more optimistic about FTL. :)

Caliburn101

Explorer
No, it isn't. Remember that even if the aliens are immortal, the stars aren't! There are at least 100 billion stars in the Milky Way (possibly up to 400 billion). And the lifespan of a star like the Sun is about 10 billion years.

Let us say that you only want to visit 10% of the stars in the galaxy - that's 10 to 40 billion stars. Even if you visit one every single year, most of the stars will burn out long before you can reach them! Oh, and in only 4 billion years, the Milky Way is going to collide with Andromeda, and what do you figure that's going to do with your 10-billion-year exploration plan?

No plan survives first contact with another galaxy...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because you are wrong? You have been terrible with logic here.

What you said = the simplest answer is always correct. It's not logic at all, it's just the English language. You said English wasn't your main language, so I'll chalk it up to that. However, that also means that you likely don't fully understand what I'm trying to say, so I'm going to bow out of the discussion with you.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads