• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Build As You Go?

Holy Bovine

First Post
I play in one game where I am controlling two characters (a Warmage and a Fighter/Cleric). I am the only one doing this and I have found it really keeps my interest in the game - previously I would get bored with one character and be itching to try something new. I also almost always DM so i am used to controlling 3+ NPCs in social situations. That said i have tried something a little different. Normally I do not plan anything out and go with the flow of the game to determine what my character learns. This time I decided to plan out the warmage while leaving the Fighter/Cleric as my 'normal' PC. I have found it to be rather challenging as a player to do this. I decided to go for Green Star Adept (Complete Arcane) and started my Warmage looking for greenstar metal. This lead to a fun side quest in which the party races to the site of a 'fallen star' to see if there is any GSM there. It turned very dangerous as a Vrock was digging around the site and we were nearly killed! My warmage, in gratitude for the party helping her, forfeited her share of the treasure save for a 1 pound lump of green star metal. It was a fun side quest that never would have come about if I hadn't had my character planned out. Working with the DM in this case brought out some excellent encounters (we had to trek through heavy forest and even visit a Inn that had been nearly destroyed in a previous adventure).

molonel

First Post
Hobo said:
I usually don't have a firm plan in mind in the first place. Luckily for me, I have always had GMs who are willing to work with me if I feel the need to change direction mid-stream; I can swap out some older feats or whatever if needed to qualify for a prestige class if suddenly it occurs to me that I want to.

Yeah. I try to do that for my players, as well. I don't want to encourage a salad bar approach, but I've changed directions in mid-stream and if they're serious about it, then I want them to reach what they're looking for.

As for the original question, none of my plans actually survive for very long once I'm in-game.

Flynn

First Post
I personally don't plan too much for my character's future. I kinda look ahead about two levels, if that, but for the most part, I've had enough twists and turns in a campaign that planning for the future often doesn't prove fruitful.

Just along for the ride,
Flynn

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I prefer not to metagame my character's development before it is actually played. Other than initial choice of class, race, alignment, etc. all character building is in response to in-game activity.

Moggthegob

First Post
Well I had a plan to build a cleric who was focusing on being a generalist. As a result. I took two knowledges, heal and concentration with a few ranks in spellcraft and 2 ranks in profession(merchant)(its a long story) and rolled with it, taking extra turning, Divine Ward, Empower and Improved turning and Quicken spell and nothing but cleric levels. I had planned it all i nadvnace and with the exeption of the order of two feats played exactly as I had planned it.

By contrast, I had a cleric who was gambler, who wound up in a owrld where divine magic disappeared so he became a bard and eventually a very odd take on divine prankster to fit with his free-wheeling style and comedic interludes(i had been RPing them ifigured skill ranks would be appropriate. Then i was shown DP? :))

Catavarie

First Post
I build my characters for the moment, and then as the game progresses, I will tweak them with a little of this and a little of that till I end up with something I like.

Kaffis

First Post
Some hazy middle-ground.

I frequently stat out some 20 level builds when I'm first creating a character, to get an idea of how much I can cram in what with pre-requisites and such, or get an idea about how many levels I should limit myself to if I want to pick up this feature on a multiclass or whatnot.

That rarely survives intact, however. Mostly, I try to start a character that will work towards an archetype or interesting gimmick by level 10, and then just keep my planning 3-4 levels out as I actually play.

For instance, I've got a rogue/swashbuckler who will be taking levels of thief acrobat as a from-the-rigging fighting pirate. That's a concept that is mostly nailed down mechanically around level eight or nine, so as long as I keep an eye on getting my prereqs taken care of, I've got plenty of fiddle room to chuck a "planned" feat for something that I come up short and think would be useful in game, or tweaking exactly what my level balance of rogue/swashbuckler is, etc.

Or my brand new scout/barbarian with whom I decided I'd like to finally get around to trying out a Complete Warrior tactical feat with, and so will probably take Raptor School along with slippers of spider climb in a heavy dungeoneering campaign. So far, that's about all I've pre-determined. The math on a raging, skirmishing, death from above power attack looks decent enough to survive, so what else I pick up to complement it doesn't really concern me and we'll see what happens.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I always have a plan.

Sometimes it's a general plan ("Best Swordsman in Sarlona").

Sometimes it's a specific plan ("Warblade 1 / Fighter 1-2 / Warblade 2-6, taking these feats and those maneuvers, and then...")

Cheers, -- N

Stalker0

Legend
All good stories have characters that change and evolve, they never start out exactly as they were. I love adapting my character to the joys and pains they experience along the way.

Remove ads