Planescape Do You Care About Planescape Lore?

Do You Care about Planescape Lore?

tangleknot

Explorer
I only used about 1/2 of those rules, but honestly in 2nd edition it was a lot easier to adopt them. AD&D had far fewer modifiers than what D&D has now. Adjusting your swords hit and damage was pretty easy and didn't require a complex mathematical formula to figure out.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Which means, if you think about it, that it's not Planescape's fault.

Well kinda sorta. It's not like they tried to fix things either.

Yeah, I'm prepared to forgive Planescape a lot of things, but the planar magic spreadsheets are not one of them.

If it makes you feel any better, I never actually used any of those rules either (except for the novelty in a one-shot game set in Carceri). :)

J'ACCUSE, SHEMESKA! :)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm prepared to forgive Planescape a lot of things, but the planar magic spreadsheets are not one of them.

J'ACCUSE, SHEMESKA! :)

Leave me to my shame! *hides*

But yeah, I didn't play D&D till sometime in 2000, and I've never actually played or run 2e (though I've got several bookcases of happily read 2e books that I got into well after they were out of print). I do kinda wish that I'd been into the game to experience Planescape when it came out, when new product was released, and during the height of activity on fansites like the Mimir.

But as for those planar magic charts and fiddly rules, they struck me as being amazing and hyper flavorful in concept, but in practice it was a lot of book keeping and kind of a pain to deal with. I have mixed feelings on them, both yearning and abhorrence, based on my experience in porting them into a 3e game (same game that I allowed a small cranium rat hive as a PC, and had them and the other PCs running around Carceri searching for the Staff of the Lower Planes, lost/discarded/or stolen when Anthraxus stepped down as Oinoloth). Had a fun time, though somewhat in spite of the rules I brought in. :)

Well kinda sorta. It's not like they tried to fix things either.

Actually, they did (emphasis on tried of course). That's what the rules for planar spell keys were for - whistle "Adagio in G" while casting Polymorph Other in Limbo and the spell works normally. Now, this system was over-complex, but it does constitute an attempt at "trying" to fix the play issue.

Put in the rules necessary to play in the setting, but otherwise just point people at the original works with the original spark, ideally minus the absurd bookkeeping charts.

As long as they make the original stuff available. I still don't see the boxed set on www.dndclassics.com. Ideally though, I'd like to have a 5e version--as long as they put a lot of effort into artistry and the balance between preserving lore and working with 5e.

Remove ads