Do you have a favourite dinosaur?

AliasBot

Explorer
I remember having one of those massive books of dinosaurs when I was a little kid - learned enough species from that to make picking out a single favorite tough. But off the top of my head...I always liked Baryonyx. Part of that's just that the name is very cool, but those sick claws don't hurt, either.

Also rad: the classic T-Rex, Utahraptor, Deinonychus...hard to go wrong with a big, carnivorous theropod. As far as sauropods go, Ankylosaurus is the top of the heap for me. Mosasaurus wasn't technically a dinosaur, but a notable appearance in one of those ancient-nature documentaries left a big impression on me, and as a giant reptile from the Cretaceous, it's close enough in spirit to at least rate a mention.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
But then turned out the body was actually distinct from an Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus was real after all.
I always thought that Apato sounded dumb, so never stopped calling them Brontos. Of course we also have Brachs, Diplodocus and Titanosaurs added to the sauropod list, but Bronto will always reign supreme!

Last edited:

hamishspence

Adventurer
But then turned out the body was actually distinct from an Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus was real after all.
The "wrong head" thing had nothing to do with the decisions to merge the two genera, in 1903, and split the two genera again, in 2015.

So how does the mismatched head fit into all of this? The short answer is that it doesn’t. The fact that some Apatosaurus mounts had incorrect heads for much of the 20th century has nothing to do with which name was being used at any given time, although the two issues have often been conflated in popular books. I suspect the two stories got mixed up because paleontologists were pushing to correct both misconceptions around the same time during the dinosaur renaissance.

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
So how does the mismatched head fit into all of this? The short answer is that it doesn’t. The fact that some Apatosaurus mounts had incorrect heads for much of the 20th century has nothing to do with which name was being used at any given time, although the two issues have often been conflated in popular books. I suspect the two stories got mixed up because paleontologists were pushing to correct both misconceptions around the same time during the dinosaur renaissance.
Sorry I'm just picturing a veloceraptor wearing a berret painting a ceiling now.

IMG_20220526_203442.jpg

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The only answer to this question in Stegosaurus. At least that's what 10 year-old me would have said when my highest hope was to be an archaeologist (because I didn't know that paleontologist was a different thing and Indiana Jones was a big deal for me in 1986 ).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases