Do You Have 'Enough' Minis?

JoeGKushner

First Post
One of the things I noticed on a few posts about the D&D minis line was that some people said that they stopped buying (not only the prepaints but minis in general), because they "had enough".

In this thing I live in, the dreaded "reality", I too have "enough".

However, companies like the following come along;

Avatars of War Use them for the big bad bosses and great heroes.

Black Scorpion Miniatures I love Freeport but there's been like what, two pirates in the D&D line?

Crocodile Games Now I'm not into any of the armies. If I had some people who played it and they said, "We'll help you set up, etc...", I'd be highly interested in the Spartans, the Weindigos, and the Crocodile people themselves. However, it's their Paizo line for Pathfinder, especially the goblins and ogres that make me go, "damn it, another purchase in the wings."

Dark Sword Miniatures Now honestly, I wasn't that impressed with their initial line up. It's not that the sculpts weren't great, they were just a little too T&A for my taste and the characters were too 'bland'. The new lines they got, Visions in Fantasy? Yeah, completely different beast. If they put together a pack of The Night Watch from Game of Thrones or some guards from that line, it would be mine.

I could go on and on like this. Dragonblood, Karken, Game Zone, Scibor, Ultraforge, Wyrd, Otherworld and Red Box Games all bring SOMETHING to the table that the others don't.

And despite the continous packing and restacking of unpainted and painted minis, I find myself going, "Man, gotta get dat."

So for those who buy 'em and said, "Enough", at what point do you determine you had enough? Was it purely a statistical bit? Was it when you went to counters or stand ups? Something else?

Shemeska

Adventurer
*glances at the shelf above my computer*

For plastic I've got an ultroloth, a half dozen mezzoloths, and a pair of canoloths. And I've got the Ral Partha minis of Shemeshka & Colcook, and A'kin.

I'm pretty set, since I don't use minis when I run, and the DM for the 3e FR game I'm in doesn't use minis either.

Edit: If Paizo makes some planar minis for Pathfinder, I'll make some space for those. Planar critters aside, I've been tempted to snag a Pathfinder style goblin, just because they're so freaking cool.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I don't understand the premise of the question?;):p

Seriously though, I don't think there is such a thing as "enough" for me - but, due to the amount I have, I am more discriminating about the ones I spend money on now.

However, if I see a PC type mini of a combination (weapons, race, armor, clothing, items, etc.) that I haven't seen before, or always wanted, or would be too difficult to make myself, then Yeah, I definitely want it.

Also, if I see a monster mini of a monster I use frequently (or occasionally;)) that I haven't seen a mini of before, I'll want that also.

Otherwise, I'm pretty picky.

But, lately in my games, I have gone to using poster board standups of monsters/npc's. Though, this is partially because most of my minis are in storage in another state. However, for PC's, they still need to be painted minis.

I have found though, that using the standups can be very convenient. If a monster or evil npc doesn't have a mini that exactly portrays them, I can photoshop a picture to be exactly what I wanted and then print it out on cardstock.

So, although "enough" will never be "enough", I have cut back on mini purchases and use other mediums.

Aristotle

First Post
I'm definately happy with the new plan for D&D minis. I am about full up on humans dwarves and elves. It'll be nice to get what I need: monsters. And just pick up PCs as needed.

The metal ones linked here are amazing... as are those from other companies. If only I could paint like that.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I would love to use some of those miniatures... but I have no desire to spend a lot of time painting them. I just don't have the patience.

Hey Joe, good to see you around the 'net! I am a sucker for cool looking minis, but have given up on painting them, and so now I just buy D&D minis (because they are pre-painted).

Several years ago, I bought a couple of complete sets Harbinger & Dragoneye off of eBay. Just recently I went on a spree and bought 6 or 7 uncommon sets (of the uncommon sets that looked cool). I think uncommon sets are great value because they are usually cooler than the commons and you get get the set (usually 20 minis) for about $24. I also bid and lost on a complete set of War of the Dragon Queen, which just rocks as a set (imo) and I ended up buying individual rares from that set on eBay.

I definitely now have "enough" though I may still look to buy uncommon sets or individual rares. I don't buy D&DM to collect them, I buy them usually because I see an eventual use for them. I am probably a little different in that I don't get any utility out of collecting ("them all") or displaying my collections.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have enough minis- metal and plastic, from hobby games and repurposed toys- to take up the volume of a small car.

So obviously, I don't have enough minis.;)

TwinBahamut

First Post
I just don't use miniatures. Honestly, I don't really like them, since you can never get a miniature that matches the image you have in your head, and I don't like wasting time and money on things I don't really need. After all, I can manage the tactical placement aspect of battles perfectly well with a pencil and piece of lined paper, though I admit graph paper and blackboards work a bit better. A portable blackboard with graph lines would be perfect, but I doubt such a product is easy to find...

So, none is enough for me, I suppose.

Sammael

Adventurer
I have 2000+ D&D miniatures, and I am sad to say that I haven't bought any new ones in three or four months. There are probably lots of reasons for this, such as the fact that I'm not running any D&D games at the moment, my dislike of 4E (and 4E styled monsters), and my multiple other collecting hobbies. I will be starting a new d20 game in January, so we'll see if this will change anything...

op1983

First Post
Yeah I've come to a point where I know I will never get enough. So, rather than trying to buy up all the minis I can I've decided to make pogs for role playing. Theyll be covered with cold laminate so I can write the name of the badguys right on the pog. The pog will also have a ring around the outside where Ill have boxes for abbreviated status conditions BLD DZD SLW and so on. It will make storing and transporting a snap plus I will never have to worry about not having a skeleton with a mace and all I have is skeleton with sword minis.

Remove ads